Skin for AKAI APC mini

planty

Does anyone have a skin for the AKAI APC mini,
You can buy the mk2 on here but I can't find anywhere or anyone who is selling a mk1 version,
Or if there are some quality pictures of them, then I could me my own.
Thanks, David

Hi Planty,

The APC40 MK2 skin is indeed available.
The APC40 MK1 skin we no longer have.
We never made any skin for the APC Mini.

I hope this bit of info helps!

Really, that's a shame, I have seen you lot use the apc mini on the Quickshow 3.0, thought it would be good for my fb4.
O.K. , thanks for getting back.

@planty I've been looking for a skin for the APC Mini too with no luck. I can design and make one though. I have access to a printer that can handle adhesive material and a laser cutter. I just need to find a file with the exact layout and dimensions of the APC Mini. I emailed Akai but haven't gotten a response. If you (or anyone for that matter) can get me that file, I'll give you a free skin. After I make the first couple, I'll even offer them for sale for anyone that would like one.

@planty I'm based in Las Vegas, NV, USA. But once I design, print, and cut the skins, I can ship them anywhere. I've been able to find the files for other MIDI controllers, just seems the APC Mini is illusive.

OK no problem ,
So what exactly do you need,
Some good pictures with a ruler next to it,
Size of buttons and that?

That would take some considerable effort and trial and error going that route. I'm really looking for a design file (PSD, AI, CAD etc) with exact dimensions. Not only do I have to design the skin to match with the controls but I have to put it in the program for the laser cutter for it to cut out the correct spaces.

If we can't find a file, I suppose I could create it from scratch but man I'm not looking forward to that.

I wish Akai would email me back with the design file. They have one as that's what they use to cut the cases.

Also start thinking about how you want the skin laid out. I use my APC Mini in a different capacity with Beyond. But I will make versions for QuickShow as well. Just let me know what functions you want for buttons, sliders, etc.

I found this MIDI mapping if it'll work for you.
p1b37js3n519r2ef71l5d4t01b8m40.jpg

Last edited:
Thats good,
But I would like it to cover the whole lot, so I know what all the sliders do and the buttons on the right do.
I have FB4-SE also,

AKAI_APC_40_MK2_SKIN-510x510.jpg
This is exactly what I would like, this is apc mk11, from there pangolin website.
I only have the mini,
Even if you had the mk11 virsion then you may be able to copy some parts.

Yes I followed up with StyleFlip, 12 Inch Skinz, and several others and none have immediate intentions of making a skin for the APC Mini.

The skin I would make would be very similar to the Pangolin version available for the APC40 MKII. I just wanted to make sure the MIDI mapping was good in that photo above. I will make the labels and whatnot just like the Pangolin. I have the APC40 MKII with the Pangolin skin and unfortunately that doesn't do anything for me design wise.

The file I'm looking for would essentially be a layout like that that I can just fill in, label, and change colors, etc. I've been trying to adjust photos of the APC Mini and printing them off to match against my APC Mini but it just isn't lining up properly. Even if I can get a photo to match up to the actual dimensions, I'd still have to completely trace and create the design from scratch and then trial and error print them until it finally matches up.

Cool, I understand what you are saying,
I don't think I can help,
I have a friend who used to design graphics and that, but that finished last year, but I will send him a text and ask him if he knows anyone.

I think only akai will have the "cad" .
I went to a graphics shop today and they can make the skin once they have the "cad" , (same as you),
So I typed in cad makers and there are a few about, there is a bloke about about 30 miles away, I haven't contacted him yet, he charges £40 hour, I have no idea how long it takes to make a cad.
Are there any cad makers near you? You should get your money back as and when you sell them.
Also if you had the only cad copy then you could sell it on.
Let me know what your thinking, as I would really like one,

Here is a dxf of the faceplate of the APC mini. I have not tried this as I have no way to cut it out. If anyone have the equipment to test it, please be my quest and let me know if I need to tweak something.

Attachments

• apcmini_cover.zip
    24.1 KB · Views: 51
Side note/ thread jacking: If anyone has a ready MIDI map of the APC Mini, feel free to share.. Maybe it could be up on the downloads section?

Side note/ thread jacking: If anyone has a ready MIDI map of the APC Mini, feel free to share.. Maybe it could be up on the downloads section?

If you are talking about the midi map for BEYOND, please check the /beyond/midi/ directory. It should be in there. QuickShow has embedded support.

Back