Kvant scanner best practices question.

Hey folks, I just recently got a weekend gig at a club that has 4 Kvant clubmax scanners. On my orientation nught I was watching how they ran they show. What I noticed is that they use the lasers A LOT. Like for every bit of every song played. They even set the lasers on a static cue while doors are just opening and the crowd is filing in.
My question: is this over use? Can these scanners get damaged by running them this much in a 4 hour period? I was told once that you wanna give em a nice break pretty often to “cool down.”

Thanks for any replies!

The opening angle/size of projection may be the hardest on the scanners. If you stay within a moderate angle like 5 degrees with a moderate scan rate below 25kps I would not expect any overheating. 50 degrees scan angle and 40kps scan rate will even wear the best scanner set down

Heat inside a scanner depends on scan speed and also scan angle. To put some relative numbers on it, if you double the scan size, heat inside the scanner increases by a factor of 4. If you double the scan speed, heat inside the scanner increases by a factor of 16! So scan speed has a very dramatic impact on heat, as does scan angle. It means that if you are operating at a very wide angle, decreasing scan speed even just a little can massively decrease the heat inside the scanner. This goes for all scanners. It's related to the physics of motors and it's covered in this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/069274777X/

Nevertheless, the servo driver portion of the scanner *should* automatically limit drive current to limit the heat.

Best regards,

William Benner

Back