Beyond Essentials DMX Outputs

Beyond Essentials Version 5.2, Build 1736

1. Should I be able to use more than one DMX Output at the same time? Basically, I want to use an Entec USB on one output for fog machines, and ArtNet to control lights on another.

2. Should I be able to see the (up to four) different DMX outputs in the Beyond DMX Monitor window? (Spoiler, I'm not!)

At this stage I am working offline effectively, with just Beyond on my desktop PC attached to a custom box with FB3s and Entec Hub via USB, but no actual DMX devices. So it's not easy to check everything, but it doesn't look promising!

In my current scenario I have allocated Art-Net to DMX Output 1 and the Entec to Output 2
If I go to the DMX Monitor window only DMX Output 1 shows anything happening. For example, if I go into QuickDMX and for example set Channel 10 to 255, this is reflected only on Output Channel 1, regardless of what I set on the DMX OUT dropdown.

I've looked through manuals, videos and this forum but I can't find definitive answers, so any info most welcome.

Last edited:
BEYOND can use multiple devices for DMX out.

Should you see more dmx outputs in the monitor. yes and no. dmx channel 513 = Universe 2 channel 1, 1024 = universe 3 channel 1, and so on.

Please contact us on support[at]pangolin{dot}com for further questions!

OK, thanks Bob, good to know at least my expectations weren’t adrift.

I’ll do some further checks with real hardware attached to see what exactly is or isn’t working.
At the very least it looks like the DMX Monitor isn’t working correctly, but it may well be more than that.

Will submit a support ticket, as suggested, once I have more precise details.

Having re-read your answer to my second question I realise I was being stupid with regards the DMX Outputs.
For some bizarre reason I thought I could route the two different outputs as if from one universe, so I was only using faders in QuickDMX within the first 512 range - so all was working, I just had wrong expectations!
Once I'd started uaing faders 513 onwards my DMX OUT2 appears in DMX monitor (and in the real world!)

So many thanks for clearing up my misconceptions.

I do have one more question that may be of use to others here, rather than me going through support individually.
How do you use the DMX dropdown selector in QuickDMX? (see attached image with DMX OUT 2 selected)
I can't see how to make it do anything, but based on past performance that's not a good metric!

DMX Dropdown.png

Back