Controller for LivePro

Discussion in 'LivePRO' started by Peter, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Peter

Peter Member

Does Pangolin have any intentions of releasing a console to control LivePro, like the Performer Console?

Thanks,

2. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

LivePro will work with Lasershow Performer Console. Right now there is basic support for LP, but this will be expanded as time runs.

LivePro can also work with MIDI, meaning MIDI keyboards and even MIDI controllers with keys and sliders. And of course, LivePro works with the computer keyboard and the mouse...

A demo version of LivePro will be available as part of LD2000 version 3.0.

Bill

3. johnfl68

johnfl68 Active Member

There is a product that is hopefully soon to be released that would make a great companion to LivePro.

"Surface One" by M-Audio (also known as midiman)
    [​IMG]
    Eight virtual touch panels, user-definable
    Eight virtual buttons, user-definable
    Thumb Pad, user-definable as one to three regions
    16 rotary encoders, user-definable

For more information:

Midiman MIDI Control Surface One

John

Edited December 29, 2003
    Unfortunately M-Audio has decided not to release this product.

[ December 29, 2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: johnfl68 ]

4. paul

paul Member

To Bill
    is there a help file for live-pro that i can get my hands on.

Paul
    Laser Light International

5. Aaron@Pangolin

[email protected] Staff Member

LivePro and its help file will be available in LD2000 version 3.0. Bill tells me that 3.0 will be available be early next week.

6. paul

paul Member

Thanks Hayden

7. Steve

Steve Member

Are there any LivePRO users using the Peavey PC-1600x as a controller? It is a inexpensive programmable MIDI controller (~$350.00) but no LEDs on sliders or buttons, and at that price no motorized sliders. Any comments on anyone using the 1600x controller or other controllers would be welcome. :rolleyes:

Thanks and have a Happy Holiday season and a Great 2004 New Year!

8. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

Hi Steve,

Yes, just today Hugo and Glenn were bantering about this controller. Indeed it looks interesting, and programmable enough to use with LivePRO.

Glenn even came up with a button/slider arrangement that seems very workable. I invite Glenn and Hugo's comments...

Bill

9. GlennT

GlennT Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Yes, thank you Steve for this suggestion controller. You know, we have a lot of Lasershow Performer owners out there with Livepro but Livepro has many more sliders and buttons than the performer on its own can control. With this controller I believe this has been solved. I did not post until today as we were behind the scenes discussing the assignments of the controller to ensure it was the best solution. I have designed a button and slider assignment that should be universal for all users.

So, Performer Console owners with Livepro, get this controller, its cheap and looks like it will work perfectly.

Some of you may not know how to assign MIDI keys to some functions in Livepro. You need to use commands. I make a whole page of cues setup to control commands, TTL chases, Beam chases etc that I assign my MIDI notes to. If you dont know how to make commands let me know, otherwise you have two options. In the next release of Livepro 2004 you have the ability to save and load individual pages. I can send you my MIDI page to load into your workspace. OR. With the release of Livepro will come an upgraded workspace which will have this MIDI page. All you have to do is assign the MIDI note to the desired cue.

Here is the assignments for the buttons and sliders,

16 sliders
    1 - master speed
    2 - master size
    4 - scan rate
    5 - brightness
    6 - image speed
    7 - effect speed
    8 - key speed
    9 - color speed
    10 - chaser speed
    11 - X angle
    12 - Y angle
    13 - Z angle
    14 - X speed
    15 - Y speed
    16 - Z speed

16 buttons
    1 - track 1 toggle active
    2 - track 2 toggle active
    3 - track 3 toggle active
    4 - track 4 toggle active
    5 - track 1 toggle pause
    6 - track 2 toggle pause
    7 - track 3 toggle pause
    8 - track 4 toggle pause
    9 - toggle lock state
    10 - stop ALL chasers and statics (TTL and Beam)
    11 - quick X angle toggle (midinote min61, max 73)
    12 - quick Y angle toggle (midinote min61, max 73)
    13 - quick Z angle toggle (midinote min61, max 73)
    14 - quick X speed toggle (midinote min61, max 73)
    15 - quick Y speed toggle (midinote min61, max 73)
    16 - quick Z speed toggle (midinote min61, max 73)

If you need any further info, post again!

Glenn T

[​IMG] go here to see the Peavey controller

[ January 29, 2004, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: GlennT ]

10. Steve

Steve Member

Here is a link to a page with a simple mod to make the 1600x a little more useable in low light situations. Nothing fancy here but its low cost and fairly easy.

http://www.synthmod.net/peavey/1600_paint/

Thanks Bill and Glenn for your quick replies!
    Glenn, your user assignment certainly looks like a great setup!
    One question please:
    Will the next release of LD2000 include the update to LivePRO 2004?

Lase-On! :cool:

Steve

11. GlennT

GlennT Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,

No Problem..

Yes The next release of LD2000 will include the update for Livepro as well. Bill is the best one to ask the release date, all I know is it will be sometime in early 2004.

I love the ability to colour the controller, this is definately needed as with 16 sliders and buttons you must break them into sections, as the performer is in 3 rows of 4, so should this controller. Remember Livepro has colour coding also, so this is how I would colour the sliders:

1 - master speed - WHITE
    2 - master size - WHITE
    4 - scan rate - WHITE
    5 - brightness - WHITE
    6 - image speed - GREEN
    7 - effect speed - AQUA
    8 - key speed - PURPLE
    9 - color speed - YELLOW
    10 - chaser speed - GREY
    11 - X angle - BLACK
    12 - Y angle - BLACK
    13 - Z angle - BLACK
    14 - X speed - WHITE
    15 - Y speed - WHITE
    16 - Z speed - WHITE

Regards

Glenn

12. Carter

Carter New Member

I'm trying to control Live or Live Pro with a MIDI command from an external source. But the source is software - Stage Research SFX, not a physical controller per se. Can anyone tell me if this is possible. I'm not after pitch, black out, modulation, or detail control. I'm after playing a section of a laser sequence which I'll assign to one of the cue buttons. So to simplify my question will live or live pro accept a MIDI command to play a specific cue button? - NOT a MIDI learn from a physical device. Thanks for anyone's help0 on this one.

13. Martin Kapp

Martin Kapp Active Member

Hi Carter

I just used MIDI to run live! cues for a pantomime where the audio playback system sent the command so my animated talking head could be synchronised.

You need to remember that the first key (F1) is a "C" note, maybe note 72 if thats what you set it to. Then F2 will be note 74 because of the black key on a keyboard is note 73. It took me a while to work that one out...........

Would this SFX programme you want to use be an audio programme? If so, it's the one used by the sound guys on the pantomime.

Also, You don't need any additional hardware if your PC has a sound card with a 15 pin game port on it - just an adaptor cable......

14. GlennT

GlennT Well-Known Member

Hi Carter,

I hope Martin answered your question.

Livepro is very easy also to assign MIDI notes to individual cues. Each cue has a learn button. You simply select the cue, click on "learn MIDI note" now output the MIDI note from your system and Livepro will detect that note and assign it to that cue. Do this to all your cues and now you should have your show set.

You can connect MIDI to your Livepro PC via 1) MIDI to gameport adapter or 2)MIDI to USB adapter. I use both, they both work perfectly.

Let me know how you go.

Regards

Glenn T

15. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

Hi Glenn,

Can you please tell the forum members about the console that you and Hugo were using during the big show in Amsterdam? I forget the model number and such...

As far as I know, you or Hugo sell these things, right?

Bill

16. GlennT

GlennT Well-Known Member

Yes Bill,

There is a controller that we have sourced that suits Livepro perfectly. I can only explain this controller that its like your DJing the lasers, a real Laser Jockey controller!

The contoller has all the quick access buttons and cool sliders needed to create the best effects.

The controller is the JLcooper MCS3000. You can see it here: JLCooper MCS3000 [​IMG]

This controller has many add-on desks to extend the controlls if needed, but Hugo and I find this one perfect for Livepro.

We use this controller with dual LCD monitors. One monitor is touch screen for cues and the other for live control indication and preview screen. Alternatively the performer console is great for cue control instead of touch screen as it has light indication, you can hit more than one cue at a time etc etc.

I wish I had a great picture of this layout, Ill post it soon.

Glenn T

17. GlennT

GlennT Well-Known Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

As promised I have quickly taken some pix to show you the best way to setup your Livepro control.

This picture includes the MCS-3800 JLCooper MIDI controller, with the Lasershow performer with dual monitor layout.

With this setup theres nothin you cant do! :)

Glenn

[​IMG]

18. clharris

clharris Member

Glenn,

I also use the MCS hardware. What have you found to be the most comfortable mapping for the keys?

What did you end up mapping the jog wheel too?

Chris

19. GlennT

GlennT Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,

yes we have put together a mapping setup that has proven to be the best posible. We have been testing the layout for about 6 months and agree there is no better layout. Now that the testing stage is over, we plan to design a printed cover specifically for livePRO. JLCooper provide this, we just need to design the look.

So, in the meantime I have put together 2 images that show you how to setup the MCS3800, by assigning each button/slider with the right notes and channel. Then, you need to use my livepro.ini file which contains all the MIDI assignments for this controller. Place the ini file over the top of your current one. This contains all the MIDI assignments within the MIDI settings setup but there are more MIDI functions that are controlled via MIDI cues which is provided in the latest workspace file. Email me for the latest workspace, ini and image files @ [email protected] as it has not yet been released but will be soon. It will then be available as a download from the Pangolin site.

With these two files and your MCS3800 setup by you it will operate as expected.

GlennT

20. Psyteknology

Psyteknology Member

Hiya,

What's the difference between the PC1600 and the PC1600x, I'm interested in trying this out! The 1600x seems alil more expensive, but just wnted to know if the extra $ was worth the differences.

Can any one fill me in ?

Love In Light,
    Albie
    PS. Pls email to pstyek<at>psyteknology<dot>com