Feature Request LivePRO

Discussion in 'LivePRO' started by Jem, May 4, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Active Member

Hi All

I was sort of hoping that the DMX output functionality would have been enhanced in the new version of LivePRO (v4.5 May 08). It would be really nice to be able to fully control my hazer via DMX.

I know I can switch it on and off through LivePRO by enabling DMX output in Showtime, but this does not give me any sort of control - It's either on or off. On my hazer (a Look Solutions Unique 2) I can set fan speed and haze output from 0 to 99 levels. Oh, and before anybody says a hazer should just be turned on and left to run... yes, I know this but sometimes it's nice to just up the output a little ;)

Is there any possibility this could be considered for the next version :)

Cheers

Jem

2. DZ

DZ Member

I'll second that request!

3. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

Right. Unfortunately there are right ways and wrong ways of doing this. If we do a quick hack in LivePRO (the wrong way) what that will do is paint Pangolin into a corner of having to support that hack for the rest of our lives. (This is because of our strong ethic for compatibility -- something that some other software companies don't care about).

The right way to do it is to completely re-write the DMX portion of LivePRO (while providing compatibility with what is already there). This is in process, but this is also a slow process because -- in addition to Pangolin always maintaining compatibility with the past, we are also always looking 10 years into the future to see what people will need. So we need to craft a DMX solution that will last everyone for the next 10 years.

If you came by Prolight & Sound, you would have gotten a teeny tiny glimpse of what is coming from Pangolin.

Basically, people just have to trust that we know what we are doing. Sometimes it is frustrating, but when we finally do release something, it will answer all questions and needs.

Best regards,

William Benner

4. Jem

Jem Active Member

Thanks for the reply Bill. It's not a life or death situation, it's just one of those things that would make life a little easier and be nice to have. No worries though, i'm quite happy to wait for the next version .

Cheers

Jem