MIDI to drive Live

Discussion in 'LivePRO' started by plasmadrive, Mar 7, 2011.

1. plasmadrive

plasmadrive New Member

Hi All,

I have an idea I want to pursue but don't really know where to start and would appreciate any helpful hints.

What I want to do is take the MIDI output from my electronic drums and drive Live. I have never worked with MIDI and I am not familiar with it so I am trying to wrap my brain around it. I have a Yamaha DTXtreme III drum machine that will out put MIDI as I play. I would like to control color, beam hits, patterns and so on with that MIDI signal. I unfortunately only have an older MOTU MIDI Express XT with a Parallel port output.

Any thoughts? Any one done this yet? Seems like a logical thing to play with.

Thanks,
    Craig Nelson
    Laser Fascinations

2. Stuka

Stuka Well-Known Member

DEFINITELY "doable"!!

You can get a decent USB MIDI interface for less than $100 from just about any online or "big box" music store.

You would need to install the MIDI interface on the same computer running LivePro. Feed the MIDI OUT from your drum machine to the MIDI IN on the USB interface.

In LivePRO, enable the MIDI settings to recognize your USB MIDI interface. From there, every cue and most of the control functions of LivePRO can be mapped to the drum machine trigger of your choice.

:)

3. plasmadrive

plasmadrive New Member

Thanks for the info. I will look for a new MIDI USB device. I have only the older parallel MUTOs .. I will give this all a try and see how it all comes out.. should be fun if I can make it work.

Craig

4. johnfl68

johnfl68 Active Member

On a side note, although I have not used them with Pangolin, I assume these should work.

Korg offers a bunch of USB MIDI controllers that I think would work great for laser display.

Check out the nanoSERIES of controllers:

http://www.korg.com/nanoseries

nanoPAD
    nanoKEY
    nanoKONTROL

And the new nanoSERIES2 controllers:

http://www.korg.com/nanoseries2

nanoKEY2:
    [​IMG]

nanoPAD2:
    [​IMG]

nanoKONTROL2: