Monitor Folder for images to display

Discussion in 'Pangolin Virtual DJ Plugins and SMS' started by Veinhead, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veinhead

Veinhead Member

Is there anyway to get VMU to monitor a folder for images. I understand you can preset a list of images to display, however I wanted to add more on the fly..

The punters seem to like seeing themselves on the screen, so I thought if I could take some camera stills then copy them into a directory, they could show automatically.

Can this be done or is it a new feature request ?

2. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

Sounds like a great idea.

I've heard there are cameras that have some kind of connection to a PC, so that when a photographer takes a picture, it can pop into a PC. Is this true? If you know of such cameras, please post them here, along with some information about how they work.

We can indeed modify VMU to effectively monitor a folder, and then circulate the pictures in the folder through the "Slideshow" panel. I'm sure the programming won't be as easy as the words make it sound, but that should be possible.

Nevertheless, we always like to fully map out the problem before getting started on a solution. If you can tell us about these cameras, and the files they produce, and so forth, then we'll have more to go on.

Best regards,

William Benner

3. Veinhead

Veinhead Member

Bill, Most cameras store their images in a directory or subdirectory under a folder named DCIM (stands for Digital Camera IMages). This will be accessible by either plugging a camera in with a USB lead or inserting the media into a card slot.

You could just search for .jpg files under this structure, as there could be various other files such as videos and raw camera images which will need to be converted, and tend to be different for each camera manufacturer. So for simplicity its probably best to support .JPG.

You might want some sort of interface to ask if each picture found wants to go into the slideshow?

You could go a step further and search for video .mpg or .mov files and throw them to a video window if one exists. However im not sure people would want to see raw video footage direct from a camera.

4. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

All of these are great suggestions, but what you are proposing can already be done, manually by you. Windows has this "import wizard" for the camera, which will allow you to choose which pictures you want to import, etc. Likewise, you can manually drag and drop relevant pictures into a folder. The only possible addition I could see is having VMU actively monitor a particular folder for changes, and then automatically work pictures added into the slideshow.

By the way, we've heard of cameras that are capable of sending the picture to a remote location via Wifi. Obviously this would have far greater benefit than anything you and I have discussed up until now. As people take pictures, they can be instantly sent to VMU which could instantly work the picture into the mix of those in the slide-show. If you have a link to such a camera, let us know and we'll acquire one and then work up the software necessary to get this working.

Best regards,

William Benner

5. Veinhead

Veinhead Member

Bill

I think your trying to over engineer this, I have a canon camera which can have a wifi transmitter fitted. The transmitter works most effective with an FTP server. The photographer take a photo then chooses whether to transmit it. The transmitter talks to an FTP server on your laptop, then dumps the pictures in a directory.

If your software monitored that directory the image could be displayed automatically.

Regards

Paul Gee
    PartyManchester

6. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

FYI: We've recently put this capability into the Essential Media plug-in for Virtual DJ, and may also soon be incorporating this into VMU as well.

7. Don Moir

Don Moir New Member

You can also use a DropBox folder for sharing files or easy access to camera pics. This will map a local folder to an internet folder and can be shared.

DropBox accounts are free for up to 2 GB.

http://www.dropbox.com

Don Moir

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.