Upgrading from 3W to either 5W or 10W

Hi,
I'm currently working with some lw DS-3000 lasers, but I'm looking to upgrade to either the Unity Raw 5W or 10W.
I'm mainly working clubs atm but I'm interested in working in larger venues and possibly out doors. My main interest is above crowd scanning.
Could anyone give me some pros/cons of either upgrade? Obviously there's price, but im interested in how much more impressive the 10W look over the 5W, and if the extra money the 10W would cost would be worth it.
I have watched the unity video of the 5W and 10W side by side, and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference.

Thanks
John

Outdoor? The more the better. You continuesly need double the power to double the distance.

So if you want twice as far as a 3 watt, you need to go at least 6 watt. I would say, if you are gonna do outdoor, take 10 watt or go even higher to 15 watt.

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.
I'm looking at doing outdoors in the future, but currently looking at bigger indoor venues.

My main issue currently is how much more impressive the 10W will look compared to the 5W if I'm doing over head scanning, will the tunnels, sheets and wave effects look alot different?
I've scoured youtube vids but its not easy to tell what's what when you factor in camera exposure and not knowing the ambient light in the rooms.

Thanks again

This is always hard to determine. The thing is that it really is the case that more is better. You can always dimm back the output. But I do not know many shows that run outdoor on projectors lower than 10 watt.

Thanks Bob, I've decided to go with the 10W lasers, it gives me the option for low key outdoor events, but hopefully my indoor shows will look alot better than with my current 3W units

Thanks again

Back