Using Timeline Media Track Audio in Frequency Analyzer Effects

Tikitree

I have been using beyond for about a year now just doing some small events and making lots of personal shows as a hobby. Recently I have been playing around with the Audio Tab and using a microphone input and the Frequency Analyzers effects in the shape editor and have been loving the results. However I cannot seem to find any way to do what I actually want without using a third party program as a in-between.

More or less I want to take my A/V Media Audio track in my Timeline and use that as the audio-in for the Frequency Analyzer effects. I have gotten this sorta working with the program Virtual Wire which allows me to set my audio out as a microphone in, I can select it in the audio tab and use that to create a number of cool effects that move in time with the music, without the need for manual keying... However after a good day of reading the wiki, and poking through a good chunk of the tutorial videos i cannot find any way to feed that A/V Media Audio track directly into the Frequency Analyzer without using Virtual Wire as an inbetween. But I feel there has to be some way to do it since all the capabilities are there I just cannot find the option for it.

Attached is a Video clip of the effects I am trying to make, more or less just Frequency Analyzer effects that use the Audio in my timeline instead of a microphone input. Please advise me if this is possible and if so how to do it?

[Video link to youtube]

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

After a couple weeks of looking, I don't believe there's any way to actually do it currently implemented into beyond. I put together a loop of back driver that works pretty well, and i used it to make a show with spectacular results. I really hope they add the ability to do it natively in beyond soon as you can create some grate effects relatively quickly and easily, and i would like to use in the rest of my shows. But it's a massive pain to do it looping back the audio like I am currently, as other systems sound, the built in gain balancing, and even changing playback volume changes the end effect. Trying to get it all working correctly with my work around is to much of a hassle day to day shows.

I saw through this forum people have been asking for some way to use the timeline audio to do this since 2018 and again in 2020 so hopefully it is coming soon...

Anyway, if anyone reading this is interested, here is a show i put together using system audio loop back. Pretty much all wave, distortion and a good chuck of the color effects where made off the songs audio.

[Laser show link]

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

There is limitation on AV SDK which BEYOND is use. There is not way to capture audio data from media files. Short term solution - use loopback driver, or Windows may allows recording from mixer (google for info). The long term solution - we will need to find another SDK, remake a a whole AV subsystems., deal with incompatibilities which no doubt will show up, etc. AV SDK topic is in TODO list, but no on the top of it. So for now, I recommend to see how to grab audio form mixer, loopback driver, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and explaining a little more why it is not implemented. Its still a features i would love to see in beyond, but i understand now that it is not as easy as i would have hoped if you need to redo the whole audio subsystem.

Thanks again. And looking forward to seeing what else comes to beyond in the future.

Correct, I also would love to have audio callback. it is what is it, at the end, it all comes to people, and nobody perfect. In any case, I definitely will change SDK as soon as see suitable one, or see right developer for the task.

Back