Wierd 'stuttered' output problem on new computer

Discussion in 'LivePRO' started by luminavp, May 27, 2005.

1. luminavp

luminavp Active Member

Hi there,

We recently acquired a new PC to for ld2k/livepro. It is rather adequately spec'd - P42.8E, 865PE chipset, 512mb ram... compared to our previous box which was an athlon 1700xp (which livepro ran pretty smoothly on).

Now we have this wierd problem, after installing ld2000 and livepro, and updating and setting up our projector settings... the output of livepro appears very stuttered ...

In this particular projector we are using 'widemoves'. We set the scan speed to around 18k. When we had Livepro and the qm2000 in the athlon, this was fine, we'd done many shows with it.

In the new computer, with the scan speed set to 18k, the output is very stuttered. Not flickery, but the key effects play back ridiculously slowly - like they change once or twice a second.... This is corrected by turning the scan speed up to aroudn 30 - 40k... and now they play smoothly...

But why is this happening ?

something to note - the cue previews play back fine - the track output boxes show the stuttered output. Even when turned up to aroudn 30k to get smooth output - the minute we try and layer more two or more tracks together we see that this 'workaround' doesn't raelly work - as the amount of flicker in the multitracked output renders it totally unuseable...

I've gone through both LD2000 and Livepro, and turned down the minimum points settings and points between tracks (as we are using this with an unblanked argon setup at the moment) to match the previous configuration but still no joy..

Maybe there is a setting i've forgotten about somewhere.. i've also experimented with the output modes and the hybrid model option in that same config screen... no change in output...

Any ideas?

2. luminavp

luminavp Active Member

Re: Wierd 'stuttered' output problem on new comput

to clarify as i don't think i was clear enough in my first post - the qm2000 has been installed in this new computer as well.... so these problems aren't the result of network issues...

3. luminavp

luminavp Active Member

so it seems no body else has had or can help with this issue ... meanwhile we've just blown 1 grand on a new computer on which livepro runs like a dog... great. :(

4. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

Hi Lumin,

I am sure your problems are solvable, but they are very strange and thus, hard to pinpoint. There is another problem and that it is hard to describe a visual phenomenon with words. Someone from the Pangolin team would have to see the problem, in order to identify it.

I see that you are in Australia. If you are able to get with Glenn Turner who is also in Australia, I believe that he will be able to offer some assistance, especially once he sees the problem with his own eyes.

Please make arrengements to have a meeting with Glenn.

Best regards,

William Benner

5. luminavp

luminavp Active Member

I am in Melbourne, Glenn is in sydney, however he has always proved helpful over the telephone and i spoke to him this morning - he has suggested a fix, which i will try this evening and post my results...

6. luminavp

luminavp Active Member

This issue has now been resolved. I don't know how I missed it - or why this wasn't such an issue on my previous installs - but basically the issue was - with the 'playtime' shows that come with livepro - certain effects were directed to more than one scanner set - however with the zone file i was using had all the zones pointing to scanner 1... hence each 'frame' was getting written 6 times more than it needed to be...slowing down the refresh rate.

I hope my experience and the resolution prove to save someones time in future :)

Glenn is a guru.. he knew straight away what it would be.... always a great help! Thanks heaps mate...

7. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

Hi LuminAVP,

Glad that Glenn was able to solve your problem. Let me ask you something. Is there something that we can add to the program that would have made the solution more obvious, or otherwise something we could add to the program which would have prevented this problem? I just want to know so that we can improve the program in the future...

Bill

8. luminavp

luminavp Active Member

Hmm... would it be possible to do a check to see if an image is projected to more than one zone that share a scanner pair ? And if so maybe alert the user with an informative dialog box with the option to ignore ... ?

Would it be possible to have projector settings, projection zones etc menus acessible in live pro ? Just to avoid the annoying alt tab each time you want to change something....

9. Mike

Mike Active Member

I got my new upgrades a few weeks ago - upgraded basic version to pro version (so I got LivePro), got the QM2000 put into a QM2000.NET box and got a new laptop with a new duel core athlon processor - when I try to use LivePro (as a newbie) I also get a stuttering effect even while playing just one pattern (I have no prolems with Showtime playing shows etc) where do I look to see which scanner sets effects are pointing to, or what else can I do to improve the performance as it's just not useable at the moment (which seems like a bit of a waste of money)?

Please help, please.
    Regards,
    Mike

10. GlennT

GlennT Well-Known Member

Hi,

The problem of studdering is more than likely a projection zone setup.

As Livepro was designed with4 tracks to operate multiple scan heads or QMs, all cues have been assigned to 6 zones simultaneously assuming a maximum of 6 QMs per controller. If you look at the workspace description which is located in the drop down menu to the top left of Livepro, it tells you there what zones to setup. This multiple zone setup per cue was done with the concept in mind that the user simply sets up projection zones depending on how many scan heads their using, this way its easier to control multiple scan heads/QMs without too much effort. If you are only using 1 QM, then simply assign the unused projection zones to an anassigned scanner like scanner 30.

Also, so you know where to monitor the cues projection zones, Click on a cue, goto cue tab, look in the image tab then Pr Zones you will see that the cue is outputting to 6 zones/QMs.

The shuddering effect is caused by the one image being output to multiple projection zones at the same time, if all of your projection zones are at 100% XY, you will not notice that there are multiple outputs as they are at the same size.

GlennT

11. Mike

Mike Active Member

GlennT,

Thank you for your response, I'll try it when I get home tonight and let you know what happens.

Regards,
    Mike

12. Mike

Mike Active Member

GlennT

OK, so I got home powered on the laptop and the QM2000.NET, fired up showtime set all but the first 6 projection zones to be no scanner. Shut down showtime, opened up LivePro, clicked on one of the images, went to the properties and selected one of the zones and de-selected the others.
    Put it into run mode, clicked on the same image and it still stutters exactly the same way as before.

CPU (AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile TL-50 1.GHz) is running around 51% (most of one and some of the other core) and the network is running at 4% on a 100Mbps link. I have 1GB of memory in the laptop, but it doesn't seam to be touching much of it.

What do I try now?

Regards,
    Mike

13. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

Hi Mike,

Once again, we are trying to communicate about visual phenomenon, using only words. This is not very effective.

John Tilp had a saying which I absolutely love. He said that "talking about art is like dancing about architecture". In your problem, we may as well be dancing, because words simply are useless in communicating what "stuttering" means, etc.

In this case, we can't even use a single picture to illustrate the problem. Video is the only way... If you can video tape yourself, and your projector, and your problem, then send us the video tape or file, then we will be able to see the problem and offer a solution. Otherwise, you can send your computer system to us and we will check it out. Although we do not have to do this very often (only around once every 3 years), sometimes its the only way we can actually see a problem that a client is having.

Best regards,

William Benner

14. GlennT

GlennT Well-Known Member

Hi,

Ok, heres one more thing to try, output the effect where you see the shuttering, then click on the small black arrow just above track 1 top left, this is the "track to zone" system, this allows you to tell the track to goto a specified zone, this will determine if it is a scanner zone setup problem or not.

Click on the arrow, assign track 1 to goto the specified scanner, set it to say zone 4 only, if thats what youve setup, now see if the laser is still shuddering?

GlennT

15. Mike

Mike Active Member

I tried following your instructions but the problem didn't go away.
    However, when the problem goes away when I select only one of the cores of the CPU under task manager for LivePro.

Regards,
    Mike

16. GlennT

GlennT Well-Known Member

Hi,

This is very interesting, there has been other reports of dual core / Livepro issues, though all of our systems here use dual core with no problem. Can you please provide the make, processor speed type etc so we can determine if its manufacture specific.

GlennT

17. krystek

krystek Member

Hello,
    In that thread you can find the solution for you, luminavp: LivePRO and DualCore

Best regards,
    Krystian

18. Mike

Mike Active Member

Looks like the patch fixed the problem, Thank you.
    Regards,
    Mike

19. beller420

beller420 New Member

Stuttering Problem in LivePro

I am having the same problem. I made sure that every cue was assigned to one track and one zone only and I still get the stuttering problem. it shows inthe laser preview window too right in time w the projectors hiccups, this only occurs in livepro, not showtime. I thought perhaps a video card problem but my comp is a new build running on xp pro w 8G of ram and an i7 intel chipset, w a 1 gig vid card. Any other ideas that may b the cause of my woes? Thank You.
    Frustratedly yours,
    Tom

20. beller420

beller420 New Member

Win XP Update Fail

krystek,
    I tried to install the update you posted as a fix but windows was telling me the service pack I currently have is newer and there is no reason to install that one. I am using a quadcore, perhaps that is my problem? waiting for MS to fix this one too i guess.