Winamp AVS crashes on 'SuperScope' render effect

decix

After some testing I found out that every AVS-Preset with the 'SuperScope' render effect involved keeps crashing Winamp immediately.
AVS/Laser version is 2.5.1 , Winamp version is 5.35.
All other render effects seen in this list work nicely, even when they are combined.
It's just the 'SuperScope' which causes this error every time it is selected.

Maybe someone can help with this... thanks in advance! :bounce:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. My guess is that this is a bug in the latest version of Winamp. I will try to bring this to the attention of Justin Frankel (person who wrote Winamp) but it might be difficult to get his attention since he is always quite busy...

Bill

Hello Bill!

Thanks for redirecting the bugreport to the author.
It's really annoying because almost all AVS-Presets use this function so I finally gave up on trying.
Instead you'll be receiving my LivePRO order during the next week :]

Regards... Andreas

Hi Andreas,

So far I have not been able to get the attention of Winamp people, even though I have sent the information to several resources.

Nevertheless, there could be a short-term solution for you anyway. As far as I know, this must only be a problem with the latest version of Winamp. I recommend you try an earlier version. As far as I know, earlier versions are still available...

Bill

Hi Decix,

I wonder if this was a problem only with your version of Winamp. I just downloaded the very latest version, which is 5.541 and I don't see any problem. In fact, it seems smoother and better than recent 5.x versions.

Please try it and let me know what you find.

Bill

I tried all versions incl. v5.541. Crashing still occurs...
But anyway... Winamp is dead for me. It exposes my privacy and phones home to AOL etc.
For the LivePRO plugin I still use the old version and as media player I now use AIMP (www.aimp.ru) which is so much better. A LivePRO plugin for that would really be awesome.

Hi Decix,

Hmmm. Very odd. Have you tried much older versions, like 2.x? I have 2.x on my work computer. We only have 5.541 on Justin's computer. I don't see any problem.

It makes me wonder if this "crashes" because of something on your computer.

Also, can you send a screen shot or better description of what you mean by "crash"?

And finally, are you using the networking version of the LD2000.DLL or the non-networking version? If you have a QM2000.NET, then you would have to be using the networking version.

Bill

- I have a QM2000.net
- All effects work except the SuperScope
- Crash means Winamp shuts down immediately when this effect is called, no message or anything

But it's okay, I don't use this plugin anymore. I only use LivePRO-Plugin to get some beat effects and automatic switching from time to time.

Right, I think this must have to do with your computer or configuration. We are unable to duplicate this problem.

Since I bought a new hard drive I reinstalled my system completely from scratch.
WinXP Pro SP3, very latest Winamp 5.552, LD2000 4.53, ...
Problem with crashing still exists unchanged as described in the first posting as soon as 'Super Scope effect' is involved. :(

Still not able to resolve this issue, nothing I tried ever helped.
Would somebody who's got a running Winamp-version be so kind to put his Winamp-folder in an archive and send it to me? :confused:

log on to the PhotonLexicon FTP server (ftp.photonlexicon.com) ID:plftp Pass: ildaswap and navigate to the software directory. Download the Winamp.zip file and give it a try. ;)

Thanks Buffo!
It's not working either. Tried some 2.x versions last week, but always with the same result.
As soon as the super scope effect is called Winamp instantly exits without further notice.
Does somebody know if debug message / log file output can be enforced in Winamp to narrow down this malfunction? :confused:
I also tried on a virtual machine and on my laptop, always the same. Maybe this constellation does not like my OS or something (btw... it's WinXP SP3 german)... I'm pretty much clueless. Next try will be Win2000 in a VM.

Success!
Everything is working in my virtual machine Windows 2000 setup, also the SuperScope effect does not crash Winamp here.
Question is: WHY does my Win XP SP3 (Host OS) fail to run the SuperScope effect correctly while Win 2000 (Guest OS) has no problems?
I'll keep on testing with VMs and XP and hope to find the one update or patch or whatever that causes this problem.
Unfortunately I cannot run a VM on my Laser-Laptop because it does not have enough performance for that.

I finally found the solution for this problem :)
By default the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is enabled in Windows XP only for Windows-own-programs and -services, but I have it enabled it on my system for all programs since I installed the OS (never had any problem with that).
This shuts down Winamp in the moment the AVS-Laser super-scope effect is enabled (should not happen, but it does. Maybe a bug somewhere.)
Since I created a DEP exception rule for Winamp.exe everything works fine.

@Pangolin: You should be able to reproduce this error now. Maybe you want to add a hint how to circumvent this bug to your documentation or report this to the author of the plugin.

Glad you were able to make it work. It would suck to not be able to enjoy the Winamp laser visualization plug-in! It's one of my favorite Pangolin features...

Adam

Back