Memory Card?

Tim Walsh

Can the memory card be used to store Quickshows?

It would be quite useful to me to create a timeline Quickshow, and save it to the card for automatic playback (like cue links in LiveQuick)

- Tim

Hi Tim,

Right at this very moment in time, QuickShow does not really do anything with the memory card on the FB3. In fact, with the very latest version of QuickShow, you can even completely remove the memory card and still use the FB3. Moreover, within a short time, the FB3s that we will be shipping with QuickShow (called the FB3-QS) won't even have a memory card socket at all.

Our observation is that there are a lot of projectors coming from China that carry a low price tag, and thus, it means that they are accessible to more and more people -- most of whom have zero knowledge of lasers. These people need software that is easy to use, and yet carrying a price-point that is in line with this new realm of projectors.

This clientele does not need the use of the memory card, and thus, our emphasis was on producing software that these people could use, and having the features they need and... not having the features that they don't need.

The true laser professionals of the world (such as yourself) can already make great laser shows using LD2000, and then export those great shows for use on the memory card. But you don't use QuickShow to download to the memory card, you use LiveQUICK (sorry about the similarity in names).

Last year Pangolin added one person to our team. This year we already added another one and within a few weeks we’ll be adding yet another one. That will be a total of 16 people on the Pangolin team, which is really a very large number considering how small this niche market is and what we do. (As I am sitting here writing this, I can’t even think of a laser production company that has 16 employees, much less a laser software company…)

Even with this number of people, there still isn't enough time in the day to accomplish everything we would like to, and so we try to concentrate our efforts on projects that will benefit the majority if our now nearly 12,000 users.

Tim if you know of a programmer who is good and has time on his hands, please send him our way. We’ll be glad to hire person number 17… As a reward, we'll have him work on this export project for you as his first task (and then put him onto what we believe would be more meaningful projects to benefit more users). Otherwise we are doing everything we can with the 16 people we have working for us, and that means certain projects have to wait...

Within a month, we’ll be releasing QuickShow version 2.0, with a brand new workspace and more features. QuickShow was already an unbelievably powerful tool, especially given the price-point, which (when you consider the Dollar to Euro exchange rate) appears to be lower than anything else on the market. Although there will be more features (that is, more innovative features found in no other product) unfortunately, one of them won’t be the ability to do anything with the memory card… It just doesn’t seem to be a priority for the clientele we had in mind when we conceived QuickShow.

Best regards,

William Benner

I mean the FB3-QS, not the new version of the software. I understand the new FB3 will have six color channels. Is that a function of the software or the hardware? If it's hardware, will the older FB3's be upgradable for this?

The FB3-QS is "coming soon". HOWEVER, people will not be able to use the six color channels immediately upon its release, because the color system that we currently have within QS is still only three color channels. We will be migrating QS to six color channels later this year (perhaps version 3.0).

And I am afraid there is no way to upgrade a FB3-SE or FB3-XE to have six color channels. But these FB3s do have four color channels however, and always have... But again, currently no software takes advantage of more than three color channels for the FB3.

Best regards,

William Benner

It would still be nice to at least be able to save Quickshow cues in a format that LiveQuick could load for sending up to the card. But there seems to be some effort expended to actually prevent that (the "Edit animation (notification)..." menu option pops up). Indeed there seems to be effort right across the board to block export of (say) ILD frames from QS. "Buy our vastly more expensive products if you want that sort of thing" says William. My eyes roll.

Back