real-time & offline video tracing in Beyond

meeble

real-time / offline video tracing / raster scanning in Beyond

Hello,

Are there plans to incorporate real-time video raster scanning and or video tracing in Beyond? Non-real-time / offline video tracing would be very useful as well. i.e. the ability to convert a QuickTime movie to vector lines/shapes.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, we've done a lot of work in this area.

Already in the latest version of BEYOND (build 535 or later), we support a new effect, which allows for the application of any kind of visual media to any kind of laser output. So for example, if you want to create a raster image (from a bitmap or from a video file) all you need to do is load in one of the blank raster frames we supply, and apply a video effect on top of that, and walla, real-time video impressed on the laser imagery. Obviously it works not only for raster patterns but regular outline imagery as well. So if you want to effectively re-color any laser imagery using a bitmap, video, whatever, it can be done. You can find this in the effect editor. It is a Key Effect, called Recolor by video. We have a similar one called Bump mapping by video.

In addition to this, BEYOND has a way of turning bitmaps into laser imagery (raster to vector converter) using the QuickTrace tool like QuickShow, but there is a more advanced version too, which you will find on the Edit menu.

We're also working on incorporating an enhanced version of our VST utility that was available for LD2000 users into BEYOND as well.

Best regards,

William Benner

That is good news! I will be emailing you about how to get the latest build of BEYOND to start trying out those features. :)

Just to clarify... BEYOND can create vector laser points from a video file and/or a live video feed?

Hey Bill,

I tried adding both the "Recolor by video" and "bump mapping by video" effects to various cues, but I couldn't find any way to select a video file or video feed. Where do I select the video?

Also, I haven't been able to find the blank raster frames anywhere.

Just to reiterate, I'm mostly looking for a good tracing algorithm to create vector frame animations from simple, black and white After Effects generated video files.

Thanks,
Devin

Last edited:
video stream

This subject is advanced for me so if you could tell it to me like I'm a 5 year old, it would be good. I have the latest version of Beyond. I have a client who wants me to raster a live video feed. Can this be done? I do not need it to look perfect just try to recreate colors and shapes. It is for a art installation.

Hi Twilo.

So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to do any kind of video tracing or video raster scanning in BEYOND. Bill said that it is possible, but after many hours of trying to figure it out I am stumped. Perhaps Pangolin will come out with a exhaustive user manual soon that covers every feature/parameter/setting/tool available in BEYOND. For now, all we can do is wait.

This subject is advanced for me so if you could tell it to me like I'm a 5 year old, it would be good. I have the latest version of Beyond. I have a client who wants me to raster a live video feed. Can this be done? I do not need it to look perfect just try to recreate colors and shapes. It is for a art installation.

I'm not Bill,

But I Do know that people are working hard on the manuals as we speak.
Its not finished yet, but where on track.. So to say.

Best regards,

Bob

Back