importing vector art into BEYOND?

meeble

hi,

Is there any way to import a vector art file created in Adobe Illustrator into BEYOND? If you wanted to create a 9 pointed star in BEYOND, I see no easy way to do that, yet in AI, it would be very easy. Ideas?

Hi,

We'll have to check into the importable formats and get back to you about that.

However, there is an easy way to create n-Gons and even star-looking things using the QuickShape generator. It might be a bit non-obvious, but tell QuickShape that you want to create a simple shape whose base shape is a circle, and then adjust the "number of points" to get where you want to go. Adding a second Oscillator or Modulator to the QuickShape (or using Advanced Shape) will also help.

Best regards,

William Benner

Any updates on importing vector files? I used the star shape as only an example - I have much more complex shapes in Adobe Illustrator that I would like to be able to import into BEYOND.

Anyone else have a work-around?

Last edited:
Hi,

In the recent version of BEYOND added ability to load WMF file or paste WMF from the clipboard. As a rule, applications from Adobe or Corel paste a vector graphics as a meta file, what should allow to move the data by means of copy/paste. Support of meta files added into Frame Editor (New) of BEYOND.

Best Regards,

Alexey Sinitsyn.

Hi meeble,

I know from the other post you are working also with Cinema 4D. So, here is the clue. Save your illustrator file as .ai-format. Be sure, that you save it in Illustrator 8-format, otherwise C4D might have problems with it. After that, you can simply export your file to FBX with C4D or other plugins for C4D. Have fun. :)

Hi,

In the recent version of BEYOND added ability to load WMF file or paste WMF from the clipboard. As a rule, applications from Adobe or Corel paste a vector graphics as a meta file, what should allow to move the data by means of copy/paste. Support of meta files added into Frame Editor (New) of BEYOND.

Best Regards,

Alexey Sinitsyn.

Hi Alexey,
Thanks. That works..
In fact easier that the old many action export to .ai through 3dsmax we have had to use..

Hi meeble,

I know from the other post you are working also with Cinema 4D. So, here is the clue. Save your illustrator file as .ai-format. Be sure, that you save it in Illustrator 8-format, otherwise C4D might have problems with it. After that, you can simply export your file to FBX with C4D or other plugins for C4D. Have fun. :)

I found to get logos etc into B3d you still have to go through fbx import.
In 3dsmax you have to give the object and extrusion of at least 0 for it to import properly into b3d.

Alexey.. can we do the wmf import into b3d too, please..

Hi meeble,

Hi Lightstyler,

Thanks for your input! The only problem is that I am getting strange behavior when importing simple models as FBX into BEYOND3D. Sharp points become bézier curves, etc. Can someone from Pangolin speak to these issues?

Thanks,
Devin

Last edited:
Hi,

Hi Alexey,

I'll have to give WMF a shot - apparently I can export in wmf format from Adobe Illustrator.

EDIT: SWEET! WMF files seem to work perfectly. Problem solved as far as importing 2D vector graphics are concerned. I still would love to resolve the 3D FBX issues...

Thanks,
Devin

Last edited:
Back