Using the freq modulation option

I've been screwing around most this week with using audio freq as modulation sources. Its absolutely the bee's knees but Im a little confused on a few areas and Im hoping someone with more experience can break some things down a little better.

a) when selecting a routing from audio you select the channel number, I'm assuming that is related to the freq band number displayed in the audio tab, is this true because it seems to not make any difference what I select...the same things happen.

b) in the audio tab what is the importance of the selected 'band'? it does not seem to matter if I have the entire strip or just one band selected...nothing changes in the clips (they do the same level of modulations).

c) When using the built in audio reactive shapes MOST of them are very active, ONE of them hardly does anything at all. I found the size param was the most significant factor but there is one specifically that I have a hard time getting to move more then about 5% of its possible path (not in front of me right now so I don't remember which one it is).

d) as said in C most the built in shapes are super reactive but my own shapes and abstracts that have freq modulations are not nearly as active...I feel like I need a modulation amount knob that can gain or filter the effect (feature request!).

e) Does line in work as an audio source? I'm running mine in parallels so only the built in mic is showing as an option but I don't know if that's just because of the way my virtualization is working.

Hi Randomseed

a) A number of "audio in frequency" is a number of bar in Audio tab of QuickTools. It works. I recommend to make the first effect as Oscillating Effect - Position X and second as Position Y. And assign different frequency. In this case motion will be like a scope, and you should see that effect moves not only by the diagonal. Take some time, and you will see that it works.

b) "band", I suppose the talk about "beat register range". This is for VLJ only. It define a range of frequency channel that will be used by VLJ for Audio-trigger.

c) Technically, you do not describe what do not work. But I am sure in this case this is the question of setting of the Shape. I recommend to start from high Release slider values and also use "filtered" FFT. It will make slow motion and you will see how it moves in details. Also, you always can switch to classic Channels and use manual control. In this case you can tune the reaction independently on input.

d) Audio/FFT works same as Channel, and internally generate normalized values in range of 0..1. All input sources work in uniform. What you need is increase Gain slider in Audio tab of BEYOND.

e). Work any audio-in device of Windows.

Alexey.

Good info. Think maybe the internal mics just so bad it makes things work not so great. No idea why I cant get the actual mic input to show up as an option......

Good info. Think maybe the internal mics just so bad it makes things work not so great. No idea why I cant get the actual mic input to show up as an option......

Right-click on VirtualLJ in the top bar to select between the available input devices.

And which virtualization software are you using?

Parallels. Strangely enough it does not show up on my other PC laptop either. This is in the audio tab though, have not looked in the VLJ settings.

Right-click on VirtualLJ in the top bar to select between the available input devices.

And which virtualization software are you using?

Back