Mapping Midi to DMX

willtheld

So I am running Beyond with a APC40 and a Enttec usb pro

I want to use one of the rotary knobs to control a dmx channel for a variable output fog machine (aka the higher the value of the knob the higher the value of dmx)

How do I make this happen?

I'm not in front of beyond right now but you should be able to do it with Pangoscript fairly easily.
I'll see if I can check the code for you tomorrow
Hopefully someone else will jump in

Cheers
Rich

Go in the midi setup of your APC, choose the know you want to use and try this scrit:

DMXOut <Channel>, ExtValue(0,255)

Just replace <Channel> with the Channel you want to use.

Greetings

Tried that script and according to the dmx monitor I got nothing? also the script stayed red when I entered it....

CodeName "Midi_DMX1new"
// Autostart // unrem this line if the script should start automatically
//SelectMidi 1 // select MIDI device pair, 1..4.

WaitForMidi 0xB0, 0x07,-1
DmxOut 1,(ExtValue(0,127))

DisplayPopup "Channel 1",(ExtValue(0,127))*2

StopOnBlackout
Restart

CodeName "Midi_DMX1new"

DmxOut 1,(ExtValue(0,127))*2

StopOnBlackout
Restart

Hi Guys,

Thanks for posts. All answers are correct. The only small recommendation. The most effective place is "MIDI to PangoScrtipt" table. It require minimum number of lines and will work a bit faster. Nothing critical, the loop with WaitFor also work fine, from my side it only a recommendation.

What also might be usefull - commands inside MIDI to PangoScript is a part of profile, and can be loaded/saved as a complete setup.

--

In coming build DmxOut will allow to define more than one channel (DmxOut FirstAddress, Data, Data, Data...), and also will allow "-1" data value, what return channel to neutral state ("Z State").

Best Regards,

Alexey.

CodeName "Midi_DMX1new"

DmxOut 1,(ExtValue(0,127))*2

StopOnBlackout
Restart

Is there a special reason you wrote "DmxOut 1,(ExtValue(0,127))*2" instead of "DmxOut 1,(ExtValue(0,255))"?

Well, ExtValue made for transformation of incoming data into desired range. Arguments define output range: From, To. So, for case of use with DMX Out must be used ExtValue(0,255).

Internally BEYOND memorize value of incoming MIDI CC and save it in normalized state. This logic is equal for DMX to PangoSript, MIDI to PangoScript, and so on.

I got this working.

just no values are displayed in any of the DMX monitors or displays in the software.

Back