running 2 lasers

thesmooth

i am running QS and want to add a second projector , i got 2 ILDA CABLES and a splitter. but i cant seem to make it work , tryed master slave on ilda , do i need a FB box for every one. it says you can run up to 9, about me go to youtube and type in springsteens jacket , thanks thesmooth

I suspect there is a problem with your splitter as all the ILDA signal is coming out of the FB3 unit is an analog signal (similar to speaker signals from an amp); you can daisy chain them just like speakers.

I would test both projectors separately connected to the FB3 to make sure they both work, and then try each projector connected to each end of your splitter. If each projector runs when connected directly to the FB3 then the FB3 is fine; the problem will be with the splitter. If only one projector works on the FB3 then the problem is with the projector.

i worked with some of the biggest bands in the world , kiss in 75/ cult /waters queen, 100s of them as a stage crew member and i can t get 2 lasers to run never mind up to 9

I suspect there is a problem with your splitter as all the ILDA signal is coming out of the FB3 unit is an analog signal (similar to speaker signals from an amp); you can daisy chain them just like speakers.

I would test both projectors separately connected to the FB3 to make sure they both work, and then try each projector connected to each end of your splitter. If each projector runs when connected directly to the FB3 then the FB3 is fine; the problem will be with the splitter. If only one projector works on the FB3 then the problem is with the projector.
ya they wont daisy chain FB3 to P1 IN ,,, P1 OUT TO P2 IN AND P1 GOES OUT P2 WORKS, SPLITTER WORKS IN P1 OR P2 BOTH ENDS , BUT WONT WORK IN BOTH UNITS, FB3 LASER HARDWARE WILL NOT RECOGNISE BOTH UNITS ONE COMES UP AS DEMO

Demo projector item

The Demo projector item is like a virtual DAC in QS to give all the projection zones something to work with until you set a real DAC for use.

Is the splitter cable an ILDA splitter or an RS232 splitter cable?

Are all the connecting cables straight pin to pin (i.e. 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc with no connections to any other pin)?

So you set up your lasers (A and B) FB3 -> A-ILDA in, A-ILDA out -> B-ILDA in. What do you get?

If you set up with FB3 -> B-ILDA in, B-ILDA out -> A-ILDA in, what do you get?

What do you get if you swap the cables over?

If you unplug from A-ILDA out and connect the free end direct to the FB3, What do you get from B?

What make and model are the projectors?

Last edited:
thanks colin i have tried it all all those ways i can run one or the other, i have tried in on p1- out of p1 to in on p2 in on p1 gos out p2 works , same thing with the other way, with the splitter side a will run p1 or p2 side b will run p1 or p2 when i try both one goes out, both units are ttl, now i am sending them back, and will replace them with better units, can TTL and analog mod be run at the same time? and the unit i am looking at has 520nm green ....better ? the same? i an not looking to go back on tour just have alittle fun without breaking the bank, the last units were lanling and x-laser

When you try both on the splitter, is it always the same laser that goes out or the splitter port that goes out? How long are the cables? Can you describe the splitter cable (eg. is it a connector with two cables coming from it)?

I will assume you set the projector settings in QS to TTL. But to answer your question on running TTL and Analogue mod lasers together, if you set the projector settings to TTL it will work but the Analogue laser will only produce 7 colours the same as the TTL. If you make the setting Analogue, then you will get full colour from the Analogue laser but run the risk of getting sketchy output from the TTL laser when the input signals to RGB drop below the lowest voltage required to trigger the laser for that colour (typ 3.5-4v). Plus the colours will not match from both lasers (e.g. the signal to produce Orange from the Analogue laser will produce ether Red, Green, Yellow or nothing from the TTL as the Red and Green can only be full on or off).

I don't know enough about laser specifications to say whether 520nm is better/worse than any other (it is a darker green though). What I can say, it is not just the wavelength you need to consider but the type of laser that is producing it (DPSS or pure diode etc.) as this affects other factors like dot shape and power requirement to name but two. I'll leave this one to others with more knowledge on the subject

While it shouldn't matter as they are both using ILDA Standard connections, it has been reported that some manufacturers have changed the connector wiring which has subsequently prevented the use of their lasers with ones from other manufactures. I cannot say this is what you are experiencing, as the use of a splitter usually negates this due to not using the through connections. it still might be something to consider.

My last thoughts on this are that since the lasers work singularly but not connected together, it is possible the signal strength is being affected by being shared between the two lasers projectors. Again this is not supposed to be an issue with the ILDA Standard, but it could be one of the laser units is drawing too much from the signal, leaving little to nothing for the other unit to work with. Is there no chance you can beg, borrow (steal ;)) another laser unit to try to see if it is one of your units that is the problem?

Back