Ability to trigger playlist shows by DMX in BEYOND 5.5?

VexFX

Is there a way to trigger playlist shows via DMX? I see the ability to trigger individual shows in a playlist via timecode, but what about DMX?

Thanks!

Or even MIDI? We are in R&D on a show and need a way to trigger playlist clips. Timecode has not been working for us since our TC source is Pioneer CDJs, and even when running the Pro DJ Link Bridge software on the same system BEYOND does not appear to support TCNET.

Apparently, ShowKontrol is able to translate the TC from Pro DJ Link Bridge into ArtNet, but that's a purchase that is not an option for this phase of the project.

You can use PangoScipt, but without a tc signal, there are no guarantees of keeping things in sync.

Settings >> dmx >> DMX / Artnet to PangoScript settings >> Select your channel and use script command, "playlistplay"
Settings >> Midi >> select midi input device >> midi to pangoscript >> select Midi signal >> use script command, "playlistplay"

That sounds like good option. I’ve been wanting to dive into PangoScript. Can I trigger specific playlist slots rather than the entire playlist? We’ll have like 12 shows in the playlist that would each need a trigger.

Thanks for the help!

Dove into the documentation, and so far this solution seems to work great with PangoScript:

PlayListSetPos 1
PlayListPlay

PlayListSetPos 2
PlayListPlay

Etc.

Need some help here still. The code we are using has some problems, as there does not appear to be a way to say "Fire this code when DMX value is equal to X"

I've gone over the documentation, but that is effectively just a list of all the functions with no details or examples for many of them. https://wiki.pangolin.com/doku.php?id=beyond:pangoscript_commands

The problem we have right now is we send a value of 255 to indicate the video should start, but that value gets reset to 0, which stops the video gain, since "PlayListPlay" is technically a combined Play/Pause command. If we send, 1, 17, 32, 5, 200, 55, etc. the video will just play, pause, play, pause, play, pause, etc.

The command should really be broken down into multiple commands. PlaylistPlay and PlaylistPause. And a pause is different than PlaylistStop

The ability to define the criteria for when a block of code is executed is what we really need, and I can't figure out how to do that with pangoscript. There's not a lot of information available in google searches for it.

What we need is basically an if or switch/case statement

How should we proceed?

Thanks!

Is there a particular reason for using a playlist? You can save a timeline onto a workspace cue then use DMX or Artnet to trigger it.

Yeah, we are putting together a show with a series of videos that are all synced with lasers, lights, other projections/LED walls, an LED dancefloor, etc. So we need a playlist that contains our intro, various videos and bumps, and an outro. The triggering via DMX (or possibly MIDI) is just a workaround for software limitations.

In an ideal world, we would be controlling this all via timecode, but we've not had much luck getting that working. Our timecode source is a Pioneer CDJ which sends its timecode via TCNet, which BEYOND does not support. And converting TCNet to ArtNet requires extra software, which we are trying to avoid.

We would also like to be able to scrub through each playlist show (not just trigger it) with timecode as well, not sure if that is currently possible or not.

Back