Can I achieve this with scripting in Beyond or code with the LD2000 SDK?

vide0n

I'm a newbie to working with lasers and control - I've only started looking into it about a week ago. I'm trying to do something a little bit different than I expect most would want to achieve with laser projects, and I'm not quite sure about the best way to go about it.

In terms of patterns for projection I'm not trying to do anything fancy, I'm just interested in projecting a single line, and I'd like to change it's length over time. This is likely to be implemented in a straightforward way with a periodic looping animation that has the line growing and shrinking. But could also be implemented with frame transforms.

With the first method, what I would like to achieve is to acquire the ability to speed up/slow down the frame rate of this animation in real time with commands. I'd like to be able to write some code that talks to a device over TCP/IP so I don't need to be at a workstation.

Cheers to anyone who can confirm. I haven't purchased any equipment yet but am keen to do so.

Last edited:
I'd also be interested in perhaps applying transforms (in a pre-determined way) to a given frame before the image is output to a scanner. Most applications by Pangolin would be insufficient (no scripting) as I need to be able to talk to my own programs.

Hi!

A few quick recommendations.
1. Take latest setup of BEYOND, build 690, it available at Client Update section of pangolin.com. Installer has documentation.
2. I would recommend to use Effects. Take a look at RealTime audio PDF file, this information related to different kinds of control sources.
3. You use word "talk", own application, and TCP/IP. Are you software developer? If you are, then please explain what exactly want.

Anyway, BEYOND offer multiple ways how to control the line size, position, and so on.

Best Regards,
Alexey

I would love to do that, but I do not yet have a copy of any software and it seems most documentation is restricted to those that do own the software.

Exactly what I want is the capacity to control the playback of an ILDA file in real time: i.e. change the rate that frames are processed (they are very simple images in each frame, basically just a few points). I would like to do this with an application that I can write, so that I have control over what the user interface looks like. The reason for this is I need it to be as simple as possible so that someone who has no understanding of lasers should be able to operate it quite simply. I think one solution would be simply to send a value, let's call it max_framerate from one device (could be a tablet) to a workstation (on the same network) running Beyond dictating how fast a single ILDA file is looped.

Hope somebody can help!

LD2000 SDK offer variety of functions that allow load frame files, and operate with the output. The “playerâ€￾ is something that you need to make yourself. There are commands that play frame from memory, or you can write the frame (array of points) yourself to memory and then display it. Ability to operate with the points is main and huge advantage. BEYOND use LD2000 SDK, and what BEYOND does – generate frames for laser output. So, in generate case, as soon as you have a way to write a frame for output, then you have ability to organize all other things. Yes, it require some work, but this is a second question.

BEYOND does not has SDK. But BEYOND provide a ways how to control it externally. Playback speed control is simple parameter. Technically, this is “animation speedâ€￾ slider, and it work as a multiplier. BTW, in general case, the frame has variable number of points, and variable duration, because laser software operate at variable frame rate.

Regarding the simple software – you may consider QuickShow. I think it has a good balance of complexity and simplicity. Also, start of the cue (animation), as well as playback speed can be controlled by MIDI. As example, you may use TouchOSC. For cue start and playback speed control it can be an answer.

Best Regards,
Alexey

Back