Cleaning & MOT for the Laser

k2cfon

Cleaning & MOT for the Laser

I know that this isn't the correct place to enter this post, but I did try to enter it into the other section a couple of weeks ago and still waiting for it to show up there! (~

Anyways...here is my questions :cool:

Does anyone know of a good and safe way to clean the laser? As I have noticed our laser has now become a little lighter on the colours...(as in it's not showing green, yellow, blue etc very well (if not at all)), also I have notice a little line in a static possition when the laser is on (it doesn't matter what the laser is doing - straight line, tunnel, this line is always there).
Also I would like to know if the laser has to be serviced once a year or something :confused:

Re: Cleaning & MOT for the Laser

fuckd.jpg

This is what I mean. Where the white arrow is pointing at is always there when the laser is on.

Most people use a combination of Methenol and Acetone. You first use Methenol to remove any kind of grease that might be on the mirror, which would especially be there from fog juice. You then follow that up with Acetone which will (hopefully) remove any residue left over by the Methenol. I also usually do one final swipe with just a dry swab to clean up and polish the surface. Normally I use regular industrial quality Q-tip swabs, but other people use lint-free wipes or even special suade wipes...

Bill

For cleaning all kinds of optics, even coated optics, here is a product that really does work great. Used to be called opticlean, but they changed the name of the product.

homepage

Steve :cool:

Looks like your beam has drifted slightly and is now not hitting the center of your projector/table optics and maybe catching the edge of an optic (or possibly mount, etc...) causing scattering. When you tweak the laser optics for maximum output, this will usually cause the beam to change however so slightly. They will also drift over time. Alignment can be trickey depending on the complexity of your projector. (For example, if you are using galvo blanking.) Remember whatever adjustments you make are magnified downstream by optical leverage. So, even a slight adjustment at the beginning of the optical beampath will cause greater deflection further down the optical path, so what was centered downstream before may now be miscentered, hitting an edge or even missing the target. If you are using a PCAOM be sure that your Bragg angle is correct and your beam is hitting the center of the crystal.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm now just looking for the necessary stuff in the UK shops.

Back