Confused

Discussion in 'Laser Safety' started by FunTimes, Jul 1, 2008.

1. FunTimes

FunTimes Member

We are trying to offer laser shows in our area.

Things are quite confusing for us...

I was told that in order to do shows, the operator (or primary person) needs to get a license and then the projector needs a variance and each show you need to file a variance.

When I go to CDRH website, I see the applications for the show and projector....just nothing for the operator.

Can somebody please help me understand what I need to do?

Thanks,
    Craig

2. Pangolin

Pangolin Staff Member

In the US, the projector needs to have a variance, because it is a product. The show also needs a variance, because (believe it or not) it also is a "product". Products need a variance. And note that if you move the show to a new location, then that new location needs a variance too because that new location is then a "new product".

In most states, the operator themselves does not need any kind of license. But normally as part of a variance, there is wording in there to the effect that the show must be under control at all times, presumably by a trained operator.

Note that in some states, the operator themselves also needs a license. For example, in New York, the operator needs a license.

Of course, with all of this regulation, this explains why only 8% of Pangolin's business is in the USA...

Best regards,

William Benner