Control Same Fixtures with Two DMX Controllers

Kevin S

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of DMX so sorry if this is a stupid question/ idea.

Basically, what we want to do is control the same DMX fixtures with two different controller programs, BEYOND and ShowXpress. Is this possible?

More detailed; we have the cove lights in our planetarium, which are just 8 LED strips each connected to its own DMX 3-channel decoder. These are currently controlled by Chauvet's ShowXpress using a XPress512. We are looking to integrate the LEDs to our laser shows in Beyond, and make it simple so that whoever is running the shows doesn't have to do the lighting effects live. The issue is that i want to be able to control the lights from both interfaces, with ShowXpress being our primary way of controlling it (since we use the planetarium and the lights for more than just laser shows, and we don't want to have Beyond running all the time). Is this in any way possible?

I tried making a split cable so that the DMX decoder could take the input from both controllers, but apparently DMX doesn't work like that and the Chauvet controller always took priority, even if the channels were all off. Bummer.

Any ideas? Any work arounds? Is what i want to do even possible with DMX? Or is the a way to set up Beyond so that it can send DMX signals to ShowXpress? Do i need to use Art-Net somehow (and what does that even mean lol).

Both programs are running on the same computer, and we have an older QM2000 box, if that information helps.

Thanks for any help or ideas!
-Kevin

Hi, Kevin!
Welcome to the Pangolin user community!
You need FB4 DMX device.
You will be able to manage the content uploaded to his SD card from your program by DMX.
Watch this video

Back