How to edit custom DMX values for aftermarket laser on Beyond?

LaserNewbie

Hello people,
I am having a terrible time defining DMX values for an aftermarket laser on Pangolin Beyond. For a little bit of preface, I have purchased a cheap 13-channel laser and am using my buddy's license of Beyond. This laser is only a 13-channel laser, and as you can guess, none of the Beyond clip art designs are loading to my laser when in DMX mode. I am using the ENTTEC USB DMX Pro and have successfully connected it, but no laser output can be seen. I am imagining that this is because the program has no clue how to command my laser (because of non-defined DMX values). I am using Beyond 5.5 and have no clue how to define DMX values for my specific laser. I am fairly new to the community, so overexplaining is welcome. How do I define DMX values to work with my bottom-tier laser?

Do I understand correctly that you are trying to execute frames of the laser without software? What kind of controller is inside the laser? Is the laser only DMX controllable or is it also working over ILDA or maybe has FB4 on board?

Do I understand correctly that you are trying to execute frames of the laser without software? What kind of controller is inside the laser? Is the laser only DMX controllable or is it also working over ILDA or maybe has FB4 on board?
The software I am using is Pangolin Beyond 5.5. I am unaware of an onboard controller but the laser features an ILDA cable as well as DMX control. At the moment I am trying to control laser with DMX. The laser I have purchased is the SHEHDS 3W Laser.

To use the cue grid animations from the software, you need to use, for example an FB3 controller to communicate over ILDA to the laser. Like a setup as shown here.

DMX is not capable to handle all the information that goes over ILDA. DMX is a parametric control protocol.

My advice would be to download the free ebook a colleague of mine wrote.
This explains everything about our Lasers, hardware, software, the difference with DMX, how to control laser etc.
Its really worth to be read. It will most likely answer all your questions.

To use the cue grid animations from the software, you need to use, for example an FB3 controller to communicate over ILDA to the laser. Like a setup as shown here.

DMX is not capable to handle all the information that goes over ILDA. DMX is a parametric control protocol.

This explains everything about our Lasers, hardware, software, the difference with DMX, how to control laser etc.

Thank you very much for your answer. I will return all of the DMX items I have got and purchase an FB3/4. I will also give the EBook a read. Once again, thank you for your input, ILDA is the way I will go from now on!

I guess I have one last question. If I have purchased the SHEHD 3w laser and it has an ILDA import will there be any issues running quickshow with a ILDA FB3 connection? Is it plug and play or are there specific values I need to set and how?

Back