I really need some help creating a simple moving wave effect

Dan UK

All I want to do is create a simple undulating sine wave effect slowly moving from left to right thats all.
I want this for a show in showtime in creating. I have plenty of wave frames (static) but need the frame to move accross in an endlessly repeating wave.
I know this is simple stuff but im fairly new to this!

I would prefer not to use the abstract generator if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

The fastest way to find out how to create an effect is to find it in another show, open that show in Showtime, and then look how it was done in that show, or , depending on the rights provided to you by the show creator, use the frame from the show you found in your show.

There is a good sinewave example in the Again Beam Show; frame 200. If you take that wave frame and rotate it around the x axis it makes it look like a moving sine wave.

I expect you have already sorted this out, but maybe this might help others to do it.

You need LD pro.

open abstract generator.

set the first oscillator at the top to x freq=0, y freq=30, z freq=0. set waveform to sine. set size to x=0, y=50, z=0

now go to the next oscillator down and set x freq=100, y freq=0, z freq=0. waveform = blanked sawtooth. Size x=100, y=0, z=0.

now alter the frequency of the two active oscillators until you get the wave you like, you will find that you get in and out of phase patterns until you come to a real wave, continue to speed up or slow down and you will get more or less 'waves' in the lissajous.

To alter the height of the wave you just need to adjust the y size on the first oscillator.

Also just for fun, try to copy and paste the frame you just made into another frame slot, adjust the pasted one by changing the oscillator speeds, now you can morph between them in showtime to do real old school laser effects in your timeline :)

:edit: it's way faster to do this than to find an animation in another show and you made it yourself instead of using someone elses work- shame on you Aaron! :edit:

Back