ILDA format produced by Showtime

Hello,

I have question about ILDA format produced by Showtime. In ILDA specification, there is format type(8. byte) and there are 3 possibilities: 3D(0), 2D(1), palette(2). But in ild-file, that contains show, most of the frames have format type 5. So I have question about this format type 5 - are there any differences with format 1 and 5? Is it possible to find somewhere specification of this 5-format, or better, is it possible to find specification of whole exported show to ILDA format?

Thanks,
Michal Pokluda

Hi Michal,

There are a few possibilities when exporting a show from Showtime. One possibility is 2D points with "paletted color". This will give you a format code of 1. Another possibility is 3D points with "paletted color". This will give you a format code of 0. The other two possibilites are "trained color" -- in other words, depending on your training, this could be TRUE COLOR. Note that AT THIS TIME, the ILDA file format does not have a true color extension, so Pangolin made format codes 4 and 5 as a TEMPORARY MEASURE to get around this. All Pangolin programs (i.e. LD, Showtime, LivePRO, our Flashback system, etc.) understand these extensions, but no other programs do, and I recommend that other people NOT support these. They are basically for Pangolin use, and they are a stop-gap measure, until the ILDA file format finally does support a true color extension.

Originally, these extensions were put there in support of the Laser Jam, so that the original Trogledites show could be exported to a Macromedia Flash format. This was something that Cory Simpson, Peter Jakubek and I worked on several years ago, and these options have simply never been removed since. Again, they may be used successfully for use within the Pangolin family of products, but I would not recommend anyone else to try this at home...

Bill

Hello,

thank you for you answer, I'll use paletted images. But I also have question about this - is it possible to export color palette from Showtime(Lasershow Designer) to ILDA palette format? Because the color indexes are different from default ILDA palette.

Thanks,
Michal Pokluda

Hi Michal,

Unfortunately, color within the ILDA files is an area that has always been confusing at best, and that there are no less than three color standards for ILDA files (and, unfortunately, another on the way)... I will say that the palette that we use is the most-used palette, and therefore I recommend that you use the palette that we use when importing ILDA. If you want the exact color values per index, I will send these to you in a private email.

Bill

ILDA format produced by Showtime, fps=?

Hi,

Thanks for previous answers :cool:.
I have another question about ILDA format produced by Showtime. Synchronization of the exported show is synchronyzation of points? I mean, if I set in Projector settings scanrate, number of exported points in ilda file is equal to [ scanrate * (scene lenght in seconds) ] ? If yes, what does than mean splitting into frames in exported ild frame? They are only some "random" frames(i have enough of points in current frame, so let's start next one)? Or is it possible also synchronize show with frames(what is the frame per second then?)?

Thanks,
Miso :confused:

Re: ILDA format produced by Showtime, fps=?

I am not sure what you are asking. This is a somewhat complex topic and your questions are not entirely clear to me. I will say that Showtime is very consistent and therefore you should be able to do some experiments and get answers to your questions by observation.

Bill

Back