layers in beyond on APC40

This is new, and progressing function in beta state, some details are not well polished. The layer index can be changed by means of MIDI1 .. MIDI4 objects.

Here is short overview:

Surface Layers

In all tables you will see the column Layer. What it means and why it appeared in recent builds of BEYOND? MIDI controllers have many buttons, but still not enough to cover all needs, all functions of BEYOND. Number of buttons and sliders is smaller than number of BEYOND functions. In such case we need a way to assign more than one function to button (or slider). For such separation we introduced conception of layers. As example, the first layer can work with Live Control, second with…Channels, third with Effects, and so on. It work this way. For mapped BEYOND function you specify to what layer it belong. You link the MIDI message and Function, but the link work only for specified layer.

The tricky thing is – function may exists in multiple layers. As example, Blackout. This is important buttons, and it must work in all layers. Because there is a way to enable function for multiple layers.

This is new, and progressing function in beta state, some details are not well polished. The layer index can be changed by means of MIDI1 .. MIDI4 objects.

Here is short overview:

Surface Layers

In all tables you will see the column Layer. What it means and why it appeared in recent builds of BEYOND? MIDI controllers have many buttons, but still not enough to cover all needs, all functions of BEYOND. Number of buttons and sliders is smaller than number of BEYOND functions. In such case we need a way to assign more than one function to button (or slider). For such separation we introduced conception of layers. As example, the first layer can work with Live Control, second with…Channels, third with Effects, and so on. It work this way. For mapped BEYOND function you specify to what layer it belong. You link the MIDI message and Function, but the link work only for specified layer.

The tricky thing is – function may exists in multiple layers. As example, Blackout. This is important buttons, and it must work in all layers. Because there is a way to enable function for multiple layers.

Thank you. That is what I was thinking. But how do I change the layer? So If I want to assign one button to 3 layers. How can I trigger the different layer for the 3 different usages?

And my above scenario - I know and see how to assign the layers to a button. But how to I actually set the layer at show time.. when I want to use the other layer function.

Starting from build 661 there are 2 ways.
1. In object style: Midi1.Layer = 1
2. In command style: SetMidiLayer 1

Midi1, Midi2, Midi3, Midi4 are objects that represent MIDI IN/OUT pair.
Command SetMidiLayer just added, it has one argument - index of layer. It work with together with SelectMidi command.

Regards,
Alexey.

That will be great!

Will there also be an option to assign a button to a temporary "shift"? That would allow me to hold down the button and while being held down would assign the entire controller to layer "x"?

I think the the minimum is already there. Functions for "comfort" will be added as soon as time will allow.

Regards,
Alexey.

I know this is very old but it hits on exactly what I am trying to figure out. I have Beyond Essentials and an APC40 (not MKII). Can I use layers? If not, what do I need? If so, can I get a little more detail about how to invoke the layers. I see some commands in a earlier post on this thread but I don't understand how those are done. Really important to me. I need layers if at all possible.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,

BEYOND knows midi device configuration files (Midi templates).
These are pre-defined midi settings for hardware controllers like APC 40, MK2 , Launchpad, Kontrol F1.
Pangolin made through the years a few templates for the controllers below.
- APC40
- APC40 MKII
- APC Mini
All versions of BEYOND allow you to map any midi controller to the predefined functions.

Midi templates can contain PangoScripts.
PangoScripts allow advanced control of BEYOND with simple text commands.
If you want to create and edit PangoScripts inside a midi template, you will need to have BEYOND Advanced as Minimum level.

Operating layers requires PangoScript.

Now the APC40 template has not been updated since Akai stoped making them.
So we don't have a pre-defined midi template available for the APC40 with layers inside.
The template file without layers of the MK1, is in the directory c:\BEYOND\Midi
So if you have advanced, you have the ability to implement the midi layers your self.

BEYOND essentials can READ PangoScript, but cannot create or write PangoScript.
BEYOND advanced and up can read and write PangoScript.

(PangoScript it self is not part of Midi, PangoScript is actually everywhere inside BEYOND)

Back