LD2000 on a MAC!

Pangolin

Staff member
The following information about how to get Pangolin's LD2000 series to run on the MAC, is provided by Alberto Kellner of Laser Entertainment S.R.L in Milano Italy. His contact information can be found below if you need it.

HARDWARE NEEDED:

* Intel processor based MAC. This is the last, newest series of MAC (the old ones that use a Motorola processor will not work for this purpose)

* "Bootcamp" utility that you can download for free from the Apple website

* Microsoft Windows Operating system (suggested XP or VISTA)

* LD 2000 (any version)

* Pangolin QM2000.NET (for MAC laptops or desktops) or the standard QM 2000 board (for desktop MACs that have a PCI slot available)

How to install:

1. Download and install the "Bootcamp" utility from the Apple website

2. Install Microsoft Windows on the MAC

3. Connect the QM2000.NET to the MAC, or install the QM2000 directly into a PCI slot

4. Install LD2000 (any version)

5. ...it works!!!

If you follow the directions above, you have to choose the MAC native OS X or Windows when you start the MAC ...BUT... if you want to use both the operating systems (OS X and Windows together) simultaneously without choosing at boot time, you also can!!! In this case you have to buy the software "Parallels Desktop" for about 70 Euro and you have the choice to "jump" between the two different operating systems (OS X and Windows) without restarting the MAC. Note that when using "Parallels Desktop", the MAC speed will be slightly slower. But this is not bad and it could be very helpful for those who want to use other third party graphic software (such for instance "Cinema 4D" that was native onto a MAC or other graphic software that runs on MAC only).

Thank you & best regards,

Alberto Kellner Ongaro
President & CEO
Laser Entertainment srl
via Licurgo 6
-20126- Milan, Italy
tel. +39-0227007064
fax.+39-0227002128

Has anyone running running LD2000 with a Mac synced with smpte? Will an Aqulla or Pangolin's timecode reader work with a Mac if it has a serial to USB cable?

We've never tried it but it should work fine. Our TC2000 is a simple serial device. As long as the MAC is happy with a USB to serial converter cable, then it should work fine...

Keep in mind the new Macs have PCI express slots, not PCI. So the network route seems to be the only way for modern Macs.

I had my ld2000 working with vmware and now it does not. Currently I am running vmware fusion 2.0.5(173382) and I change the network setting to Bridged mode but it will not see the .net box any thoughts? The funny thing is I can ping the .net box and get a fast response.

Thanks for any ideas.

Try using http://www.wireshark.org/ or similar network analyzer to see the traffic. NET boxes do broadcast when not in use, so you should see a lot of broadcast messages with Pangolin ID in the log. Also for test disable all firewals (including one integrated in XP SP2 and later). Then of course re-enable firewall, but make the needed port open (+broadcast option if exists).

Back