Licensing Beyond over Ethernet with QM2000 on a second PC / How To Do??

Stingray

Beta Tester
Hello,

as I know it should be possible to run Beyond on a PC without the "licensing hardware" if it has seen the hardware once after installation.

As I have a QM2000 for licensing and don´t have a PCI slot in my main PC (that would be fine to use for testing and learning Beyond without laser output), I have the following question:

Is it possible to install Beyond on this second PC WITHOUT the QM2000 inside, copy the license file onto this PC and then license the software with the QM2000 in the other PC over Ethernet-connection?
If yes, what are the exact steps to do this (normally they are not connected in a network, but I can switch them together either directly with a crossover cable or with an ethernet switch between)?

If once activated, does the system create a special key-file (maybe hardware-dependent) so that I don´t need to do this procedure again if I need to format and install my main PC "from zero" at later times? So I could take this key-file and copy it to a special location and all works as before?

Regards,
Reinhardt

Yes, BEYOND should see the QM2000 on the network as long as you have installed LD2000 and ran it once so it sees the QM2000. Just make sure you put the license file for the QM2000 into the new BEYOND folder on the other comptuer. You will need to do this for each computer you installed BEYOND on with a QM2000.

Hi Aaron,

thank you for your info.

But this weekend I tried to do as you say, but it don´t work

First I connected the two computer via Ethernet Switch / Internet Router and then directly. On both variations I could see the content of each other PC.

Then I tried different combinations on the "laser PC": running LD2000 while starting Beyond on the second PC, running Beyond, running one of these programms and closing it before starting Beyond on PC2.

On every combinations of network connection and software start I get the same result: on the second PC there comes an error message that Beyond can´t find the QM2000.

So is there an exact step-by-step manual available that describes how to license Beyond on a second PC while using the QM2000 in the first PC?
Do I have to make certain configurations or enabling steps?

Regards,
Reinhardt

You need to be running the LD2000_Network.exe, on the pc with card. This is in the LD2000/network folder. This acts as a beacon on the network.
(You may also have to fix your ip addresses, rather than dhcp.)
Once Beyond has seen the card, it will run for 14 days without it.
Hold down Shift when clicking Beyond icon to bring up hardware selection screen.

I apologize; I figured Reinhardt was aware of the LD2000_Network.exe program. I took this from the question ending with "with the QM2000 in the other PC over Ethernet-connection". :eek:

Yes, you must run the LD2000_Network.exe program on the computer with the QM2000 installed in it so the BEYOND comptuer will "see" the QM2000 on the network. I also just tested this to verify and have no problems seeing the QM2000 over a network in BEYOND.

Hello,

thank you both for this important information.
I will check this until next week.

One question: I looked into the network folder and in the *.txt file is written to replace the LD2000.dll in windows/system or /system32 folder. But there was no LD2000.dll, even the search function gave no result on whole drive c:
So where is this dll in Windows7?

And a further question: is this the final specification that the activation has to be repeated every two weeks?

Regards,
Reinhardt

1.) make sure you have "view hidden files" turned on in your windows folder options. Then do a full search of your computer; the .DLL should be in your Windows folder somewhere. Win7 likes to put it in the Windows folder, System32 or SysWOW64 (or something).

2.) So far yes; but the two weeks time frame may change.

Hi,

yes, I got it :)
Putting the LD2000.dll in the right directories (SysWOW64) and everything is fine.
For people who try this too: it´s important to use the original LD2000.dll with Beyond (AFTER the licensing process; for the process itself, I used the "network dll"), otherwise there are error and configuration messages upcoming and Beyond closes because it cannot find the QM2000 on network.
Using the original dll, Beyond also gives a message that it cannot find the QM2000 but after clicking "ok" it can be uses as normal.

And one question to Aaron regarding the "two weeks time frame": do you have an idea when this could be changed? The thing is that the laser PC should not have any network connection because of viruses and such things. So I don´t want to "reload" the license every two weeks. On the other side, it would be fine to program shows on my "main PC" because it is the more powerful PC with larger monitor and most time I´m working on THIS PC.

Regards,
Reinhardt

Last edited:
I am glad to hear you are up and running. As far as I have been advised the 2 week time frame is not slated to be changed.

Hi Reinhardt,

Although the text file said to copy it into a folder, the LD2000.DLL within the NETWORK folder should have worked fine for the LD2000_Network.exe program itself, because programs look first in the local directory, and then in the associated Windows directory (which Microsoft unfortunately keeps changing...).

In any event, we're happy that you have it working, and we will update the text file to reflect yet another change that Microsoft has made...

Best regards,

William Benner

Hi Bill,

I cannot say if the reason was especially the dll in the NETWORK FOLDER with the network.exe.

For explanation, I did the following:
1) No change in dll: Licensing didn´t work
2) Putting the "network dll" in the correct directories on the PC with QM2000 AND on the PC with Beyond: Licensing worked (so maybe the reason was the "non-network dll" for Beyond)
3) AFTER licesing, the original dll has to be copied back at the Beyond PC. Otherwise it don´t work correctly (I edited my statement in my post above to prevent misunderstanding).

Regards and thank you and Aaron again for great support,
Reinhardt

Back