Manual cross-fade

smokeAndMirrors

I would like to be able to cross-fade manually (using an APC40 control) between either 2 cues, or two shapes within a cue. How might one achieve this?

So imagine I had a cue with a red beam and a green beam. At one end of the APC40 control's range only the red is visible. As I move the control from one end to the other, the red beam fades out and the green beam fades in, until at the other end only the green is visible.

Alternatively: in multi-cue mode, two cues are selected and the control belnds between them in a similar way. Either mechanic would be useful, though the first one would be preferred.

An "alpha-blend" (or "opacity") key effect could make this work.

beyond_alpha.png

On the red beam, the start and end would be 1 and 0. On the green, 0 and 1. The effect amount control would directly drive the blend, so with a bit of scripting, bingo! (This would theoretically work for both single and multiple cues?)

Last edited:
As for me, this is just an example when the Channels can be useful. As examlple, in MIDI to PangoScript you use two commands, the fist set the channel to the value, and second command set the second channel to inverted value. Main goal - two channels dependent, and controlable by MIDI slider. After that, you can use these Channels in Oscillating, Color or Key effects. Channel is a fast way for calculation.

There is similar way, by means of Input inside Effects, same story but less flexible.

OK, I recommed to try Channels.

... in some places that use Channnels is possible to set min and max values, what actually allow to use one channel instead of two.

Regards,
Alexey.

My main reason for not going down the channel route is that there are no spare controls on the APC40. Whereas if it were an effect it would be driven via the "effect amount" control.

Had a go with the Effect Input - could not get it to work. Saw events from my MIDI controller in the MIDI Monitor, the brightness key effect had MIDI1 as the learned input, but moving the control did nothing. Am I missing something?

Back