MIDI Output (note-ON value 127+)

PhillD

Beta Tester
Hi,

It seems that BEYOND doesn't support setting a MIDI channel or Midi Note values higher than 127 when using the Note ON command. Is that a known issue/something which will be fixed in the future?

For reference, I'm trying to add the following command to the Pango Script window in a cue property, but it shows an error and doesn't send any MIDI command out.

MidiOut 0x90, 0x80, 0x7F

As I understand it, the command parameters are as follows:
MidiOut (MIDI command, note, velocity)

0x90 is note on, 0x80 is value 128 and 0x7F is velocity of 127. Is there a way to set the channel?

Channel in Bits 5-8 in the first Message

Hello,

I think, you have to transmit the channel in bits 5 to 8 in the first Message-Block.
e.g: 0x81 should be the off note in channel 1
0x9F should be the on note in channel 15

right?

with kind regards,
Daniel

additonally

... as i know - the midi standard only defines 127 notes with 127 values each per channel.

I'm not sure about the MIDI standard however, the higher values are available in CompuShow (Midi Console designer) up to 256.

I did end up using the NoteOff command instead but was just curious if there were any plans to extend the Midi Range in Beyond.

It against the standard. The short MIDI message such as note on/off has 3 bytes. Tee first byte has values between 128 and 255. Data bytes has value between 0 and 127. It is a standard.

For notes, channel number in low 4 bits of 1st message byte. As example 0x92 means channel 2, 0x95 means channel 5.

Regards,
Alexey

Back