Oh that dreaded question..

Mark E.

Any idea when the LD Ver. 4.00 update CD/DVD will be available? Also, information about the Pangolin 4D software. Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

We showed LD2000 version 4.0 at the recent SIB/ILDA conference in Rimini, Italy. When I return from Japan, I will compile the list of files, then see what we need to do in order to distribute it.

Even with version 3.50, we had to eliminate around 10 shows and a number of clip-art frames (compared to what was distributed with 3.10), just to fit the 3.50 program files onto a 660MB CD. Since that time we have acquired 18 new show modules (from top, award-winning companies such as AVI, LFI, DTL and Johannes Coppes Laser Presentation), and also the entire two-CD Lightspeed laser animation library. All of this will be included with version 4.0, along with the now bigger-than-ever program files. Plus, we are including more programs with this new release.

Some material is actually still coming in to be included with this new release, so at this point, we are not sure if it is going to be one CD plus two DVDs, or three CDs plus a DVD, or exactly what the distribution model will be. There is a lot of data to this release!!

I figure 4.0 will be available around mid-April. Note that due to the huge size of all of the new show materials, only programs will be available for download from our web site. For those wanting to acquire all of the new frames and shows, you will need to purchase the CD/DVD combination from us at $75 plus shipping. Considering what you get, I think this is still a great value. At one point in time, the Lightspeed laser animation library alone sold for over $4000. I haven't added it up (but I will soon, because curiosity is getting the best of me), but for sure the frames and shows that we include with the LD2000 system (even Intro versions) are worth well over $100,000 if purchased separately from the original artists.

Best regards,

William Benner

Hi!

We are still waiting for new version to show up.
It was nice to try new software at SIB, so it's even harder to wait....

Is this new version 4 so full of bugs? ;)

Thanks,
Aljaz.

Hi Aly,

When we got back from SIB, we negotiated for a few more shows, so the update will actually include around 5 more shows than we originally intended. I haven't counted them all recently, but I think we are up to nearly 100 shows, with a large number of them being award-winning shows.

We have also gone through each and every show, making minor adjustments to make sure that all of them play perfectly at full size with standard 30K scanners. This same thing was done with around 100,000 laser frames as well. This process alone took over 1 week.

Next, we had two hard drives crash in a single week at Pangolin. We didn't lose any data, but that set us back a bit in terms of the man power needed to recover.

The other setback is the shear number of emails we receive in a single day -- around 2500. Jokingly, I said to Hayden that we could get the update out much quicker if people stopped contacting us and asking us when the update would be coming out... Each message requires a reply and each reply takes time. I also say non-jokingly that what we really need is more people helping out. We have 8 full time people working at Pangolin, with number 9 on the way in around 6 weeks. It's still not enough... If someone wants to come to Pangolin and do some work, I am sure we can get the update out quicker.

Nevertheless, the update should be released this week and has already been sent to a few people. If you have already pre-ordered the update, you will receive it. Otherwise you can pre-order by sending a FAX to Pangolin with a purchase order and credit card information.

Best regards,

William Benner

Hi William,

thanks for the quick answer.

Maybe the first step towards solution would be writting a notice with approx. release date and explanation on the update pages (both manual and automatic).

Or even make sw-only update downloadable (for people who make their own shows).
These, who want to purchase whole DVD with shows, they will unfortunatelly have to wait a little longer.

P.S. on the bottom of the update page you can read: "This page last updated: Saturday, September 03, 2005 01:26 AM"
This is quite a long time since now, isn't it?
Remember, customer satisfaction is (should be) is keeping you in the top of the market.
Don't understand me wrong. Just wanted to say that a notice on right places would for shure reduce this giant numer of emails....

Aljaz.

Hi Aly,

We started shipping LD2000 version 4.0 on May 19. These have first gone out to people who have placed new orders for complete LD2000 systems. Next we started shipping to those individuals who have ordered and pre-ordered using our on-line credit authorization form. We should soon have the downloadable update available.

For a great way to keep up with what is new at the Pangolin web site, see the link: http://www.pangolin.com/whatsnew.htm

FYI: The dates that you see at the bottom of the pages are automatically placed there by FrontPage. The page you mention was last updated September 3 because that's when we placed the last BETA version of Lasershow Converter 4D. (Now, Lasershow Converter 4D is in release status, and is part of the LD2000 version 4.0 installation.) So the date is a true an accurate representation of when the page was updated.

I doubt that we could reduce the number of emails coming in by changing the date shown on the bottom of the pages. Of the large numbers of emails we receive, many of them are orders for new systems, and some are questions about how to use certain features, etc. A relatively small percentage were those asking about the new update. Still, that small number did take up time to process. Now that version 4.0 has been released and the "What's New" section is roughly up to date, the number of emails asking about the update should decrease.

As for customer satisfaction, my personal opinion is that we do a pretty good job. BUT, as the customer you certainly have a say in this. Pangolin is the only vendor in this industry with a 90-day money-back guarantee. If you, as the customer, are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, simply return the system within 90 days for a full refund. We started this 90-day money back guarantee nearly 20 years ago, and the fact that we only receive about one return every three years tells me that the system that we ship must bring satisfaction. Moreover, I think most people are fortunately pretty rational about their purchase -- and they buy the system for what it can do for them today, not for what it might be able to do tomorrow after some certain update. Even under version 3.50, the LD2000 system is among the most powerful in the world and our competitors have told us to our face that their customers are always asking them to bring the same kind of features into their system... We rarely hear the same kind of comments from our customers...

Of course there is always room for improvement in both customer satisfaction and technology, and that is why we have been in a hiring mode lately. You sound like a pretty bright guy... If you are anywhere near Orlando, maybe you might want to come work with us. Employee number 9 just started last week and still, we have more things that we would like to accomplish. If you would like to contribute to the success of the industry and bring your ideas of customer satisfaction to light, please send a resume and we will consider how to work you into our organization!!

Best regards,

William Benner

Back