Programming Question

Helyx

Hello,

is it in timeline possible to increase the speed of a oscillating effect gradually?

Lets say at the beginning of an effect you have a line which moves up and down with a speed of one up-down-movement per clock and at the end of the effect the ne up-down-movement-speed is doubled.

In short: is there a way increase the speed of an effect temporary(in timeline)?

Greetings Helyx

Hi Helyx,

Currently BEYOND do not offer such speed as you describe. Recommended answer - to use 3 effect events instead of one. Number of effect lines is not limited, number of events too. It should be possible to make it.

Best Regards,

Alexey.

Thank you Alexey,

Will such a feature will be added in the future?

Hmm i dont get how i effect lines will solve the problem.

Greetings

Hi Helyx,

As a rule, BEYOND use logic "function of time". Classic math example... Position=Amplitude * sin (Time*Speed). This logic is foundation of BEYOND effects. As a rule, in default state Effect has not state. So, look at this as on function. OK, see, if to change value of Speed in this formula, then it will cause jump, quick change of Position only because you changed the speed. I am sure you see what I mean. That is why change of speed will not work as many peoples expect. For stateless effects the answer is adding of acceleration control, an additional waveform that will modify the time. Or a use of Channels, hehe, this is a bit complex theme, Main idea - to do no use time, instead of it use Channel, and then modify this channel by means of other effect.

The is ability to try and see how change of Speed will work. If assign Identifier for Effect (see Effect properties), then Effect will be Public object and can be controlled from script, as well as by means of Object Animation key effect. This is new thing, not well tested. I think it should work on timeline.

Timeline of BEYOND support set of ST2000 effects. These effects can be added by means of main menu Effect. One line represent one type of operation. There is option "relatively to current value". Give it a try. It might be a simple answer.

What I wanted to recommend originally. Each Track can include many Effect lines. You may use one Effect with multiple Items inside it, or many Effect lines with simple Effects inside them. Result is equal, but you have more freedom. This will allow you create 3 effect events like:

[ some effect before ]
[normal] [faster] [normal]
[ some effect after ]

Best Regards,

Alexey.

Hi Alexey,

I've tried the method with channels and it worked well for key effects, e.g. if you want to gradually increase the speed of a rotation.

But is there a way to do this with oscillating effects? In oscillating effects you can only go back and forth between the min and max value with channels. And there isnt a way to map the speed of the "Position X" effect. The "X Oscillator" effect for example supports this feature.

I get the point with the formula. But when playing with live controls (Animation Speed), instead of changing the beats inside the effect, there are no jumps. Wouldnt it be possible to add an effect similar to "Animation Speed" which only affects the current Cue?

Also could you please explain the method with the Identifier?

Greetings Helyx

Greetings Helyx

Hi Helyx,

Screenshot of timeline demonstrate what I am talking about - 3 lines, and inside effect-events. This is simple and recommended solution.

Object animation is new thging. Object cab be used in scripts, in osc, in universe, and inside Effects. What you need to do is select object and its property, and then you will get key effect that allow control the state of object property. So, instead of script you control the value by means of key effect.

You may modify script variables, or universe components, and so on. Attached picture of object browser.

This direction introduce new level of flexibility that is far beyond of BEYOND should do. It require some understanding of what you are doing.

--

Identifier - you assign a name (identifier) to Effect, (Synt, Abstract, etc) and this object going to be visible from the script, universe, etc. So, it become a 1st level public object. If you will assign identifier to Effect then it will be visible in Object browser.

Best Regards,

Alexey.

Attachments

• BLines.png
    BLines.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 24
  • BObjects.png
    BObjects.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 20
Wow, thanks Alexey,

i worked with the Identifier/Object Animator Method.
I really love such features which go really deep in beyond.
I hope you dont plan to remove it.

Greetings Helyx

No plans to remove it. There are hopes to catch time and complete this area. Such invisible for a first sight things makes a big difference.

Yes, no doubt the custom wave form is one of answers that come in mind. This direction already analized, and seems like not the best solution. There are a few places where the custom waveform may be used, and it will bring extra rules for evolution of this subsystem. Right now is a bit too soon to introduce it because not all parts on table.

Back