Qm2000 @ wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helldriver

Hello there. This is my first post on this forum so I must say hello for everyone. My name is Przemek and I`m performing lasershows in poland. I have a problem with networking of qm2000. I tried connecting notebooks by a linksys pcmcia wireless card and a WRT54g accespoint. When I connect pc`s in infrastructure mode, between pc`s was circa 40m everything was OK, but connection speed was horrible. System monitor said, that pc`s are connected with 1mbit/s speed what cause very slow showtime loading. This was a maximum of signal coverage. I think I must use directional antennas to increase the range of network. Do you think that using 5Ghz network will increase the coverage without huge antennas ?
Do you have any experience with wireless networks ? I must use wireless network because on cat5 wire I can make only 100m long connection and there is a lot of problems with wires.

Best regards, Helldriver

Typical range for wireless is about 45 meters, so you should be fine. Are there any buildings or structures in the way between the systems, as will degrade signal strengh. You may want to try changing the channel number that you are using, if there are other systems in the area that are using the same channel, this can slow down everyone on that channel. There should be information in the manual for hte WRT54G on changing the channel.

NetStumbler (netstumbler.com) is a good software tool that works with most wireless cards that lets you see what channels and systems are in use in the area around your system.

Hope some of this information helps!

Good luck!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back