QMNet?

Chris Priest

Hi Chaps,

Have just read with interest the new QMNet product from Pangolin. I was wondering if further details have been released yet? Pricing etc??

Cheers
Chris

Does anybody now if it is possible to order the Qmnet without a pangolincard ? I mean....put your own QM2000 card in it.

Greetings,
Marco

The QM2000/Net (we may rename it the QM2000.Net) is a rack-mounted enclosure that contains a QM2000, special Pangolin network adapter, power supply and... that's just about it. It can be used to replace a PC and QM2000 board running our Network software in many circumstances. The price has not been set yet, neither has availability, but we expect that it will be available by the end of January.

We may sell the "kit" separately to people who already have a QM2000 board. However, it may be required for you to send the QM2000 to us for reprogramming. At least two of the chips need to be running a different program than what is typical for PC or CD2000 use.

Just keep an eye on the "what's new" section of our web site for the latest information.

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill.
Just a small question, if the qm2000 card is reprogrammed is it still possible to use the card in a computer like normal ?
Greetings from The Netherlands and for all of you...Merry X-mas

Marco

Hi Marco,

Yes it can. Just as the QM2000 may work in a PC or in a CD2000, it may work in a PC or "Net" box. What is not possible is to support all three with one set of chip programming.

Actually you raise a good point though -- that only the minority of QM2000 boards that are ever used with a CD. For this reason, I guess it makes sense to change our default programming of these chips such that people may use newer boards in a "Net" box without having to return them to Pangolin.

Thanks for the question!!

Bill

Hey Bill, everything allright ?
Is there allready some news to mention about the qm2000.net ?

Greetings,
Marco :N

Hi Marco,

As you know, we don't like to release something until it is solid... The QM2000/Net does work very well, but we have found that in certain rare circumstances it does not boot properly. We have discovered these circumstances to be host computer-specific, and we are working to figure out why this is the case.

We have enlisted the help of Hugo's technician Ensar, just to get a second set of eyes on this problem. Ensar has been helpful at pointing out certain aspects in a network trace we recently did, and, as a result, we have developed a workaround that makes the QM2000/Net work with all host computers. But still, I would like to figure out if we can remove the workaround, even though it would be invisible to all of our customers....

Bill

Bill,

Offcourse i understand that you won't put an item on the market that is not completely tested and free of any kind of problems. I was just curious about how some things were running at the moment. I'm planning to buil a new slave computer so thought again about the qm2000.net solution, that's why i asked for some details.
I'm sure that it will be another excellent product from you Pangolin guys.

Greetings,
Marco
:N

Back