Question about computer specs for Quickshow

gregm

Having problems with flicker/strobing when running anything other than basic designs and the fps drops significantly - and was wondering if using a more powerful laptop would fix the issue? And if so which specs are the most important to this program - processor speed? processor cache size? hard drive capacity? ram size? should I have dedicated video memory?

At the moment am using a AMD Dual-Core E-350 with processor speed of 1.6 Ghz and 1 MB L2 cache, a 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB of RAM and integrated video memory - AMD Radeon HD 6310 Discrete-Class graphics chipset.

My software is: Laser Disigner Quickshow version 2.0, build 3.5

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This sounds more like an issue with too many points in the laser frame you are projecting than with a computer spec issue. Your PC specs look like they meet the minimum requirements.

Flicker is usually caused by a laser frame with too many points and the FPS indicator is showing you how many frames per second the laser controller (FB3 or QM2000) is sending to your projector based on the scan rate you have set for the scanners. It has nothing to do with your computer's ability to process the laser frame.

To avoid flickering images I try to make show frames that contain less than 1000 points MAX; I might make a stand alone logo with up to 2000, but some flicker will still be present.

Thanks for replying so quickly - but some my show frames that flicker the most are ones I've made and are well under 1000 points - while some of the preprogramed images that look more stable are over 1000 points. Thoughts?

I must admit I am more of a LD2000 user and am just now starting to play with QuickShow and BEYOND. Can you send me a few of the frames to check out? Maybe specify which stock frames you are comparing to? You can send it to my "username".com... :D

It might just be a lil optimization is needed on your frames. I know in LD2000, there can be a big difference in the way a frame looks by just using the "eliminate blanking jumps" "transform". It adds points but you can usually hear a difference in the way your scanners sound (if it helps) and you should be able to see a difference where the frame start and ends points are. I have not been able to find a similar "tramsform" in QS yet but there should be something that can work in a similar way.

Back