Setting up projectors

Where is the most detailed guide for setting up projectors? I have 4 projecters in my club and I (of course) want to get the most area output I can. We had Deadmau5 headling and his crew came in spent 15 minutes looking at the room then left for a month and came back with the room pefectly mapped. They even had room details set as projection zones. Can I map using CAD files?

Here is a Small how to describing how I have set up and used projection zones (I suggest you reset all your zones back to defaults by choosing to make “new†zones settings in the Projection Zone settings menu which is NOT included in the screen shots but real easy to do):

I have created a zip file containing a few screen shots (almost 40) of me setting up 2 hardware controllers on two separate projection zones and then several ways of configuring different aspects of BEYOND to use those projection zones. Email me and I will send you this zip file; the file size is too big to upload as an attachment here.

First is to set up the projection zones within the "Projection Zone" settings found under the "Settings" drop down at the top of the BEYOND interface. Notice that most of the zones are defaulted to Projector 1 and notice where you can change the hardware controller that is set to a specific zone via a drop down menu.

One thing to remember is that you are deciding what controller is set to what projection zone; this is up to you how you want this set up. The way I am setting it up in my example is arbitrary; you can choose to do it the same way or you can choose any of the zones already in the list or make up your own zones based on your preferences. I will be using "Main Graphics" and "Secondary Graphics" in my example.

As you can see, "Main Graphics" is already set to Projector 1, and Projector 1 is assigned to output to my QM2000 board 9811. I will be setting "Secondary Graphics" to go to Projector 2 which is assigned to my FB3 50068. Currently in my settings "Secondary Graphics" is set to Projector 3 which is not set to any hardware controller.

To set "Secondary Graphics" to go to Projector 2 you will click on the words "Secondary Graphics"; note in the "Zone settings" that "Projector 3: Not Found" is listed in the "output this zone to" drop down. Click on the "Projector 3: Not Found" and a drop down will show that shows a list of all the possible projector assignments; choose a projector that has a hardware controller assigned to it (for what you want to do make sure it is a different controller than what is assigned to Projector 1). You will now see that "Secondary Graphics" is now showing Projector 2 next to it instead of Projector 3.

To check that this has been set up you can click on one of two check boxes beside the Zone you are setting to get a test pattern to show from your laser projector. If you click on one of the boxes next to both the zones you are setting up you should see the test pattern from both your projectors. Each test pattern will have the number set to that zone in the middle of the pattern so you can know which zone is going where.

Click the OK button to accept the new projection zones assignments.

Now you are ready to set up different aspects of BEYOND so that laser frames are sent to both your projection zones. You can do this in at least 3 ways:

1.) You can set individual workspace cues to go to specific or multiple zones; this would mainly be fore live shows where you are only using the workspace cues and not a preprogrammed TimeLine show. You do this by right clicking on a workspace cue and selecting "Cue properties"; I am using the "Emu" frame as an example. Notice that one zone is already selected (Main Graphics for this one). Click the "Add/change/move zones" button; again notice that Main Graphics is already assigned to this cue. You will then click on the zone you want the frame to go to, Secondary Graphics for our example, and then click the arrow pointing to the left to add it to the "selected destination" list of zones the frame will go to. Select OK and them Close to accept this change and close the Cue properties box; to test this you will need to deactivate the cue if you activated it when right clicking on it as it need to be refreshed to see the projection zone assignment change. Now clicking on that specific cue should send the laser frame to both of the projection zones you set it to.

2.) You can set individual TimeLine tracks to go to specific or multiple zones. This is to send all the laser frames you have put on a TimeLine track to the zones you set for the individual TimeLine track. To do this you will open the TimeLine editor window but clicking the "TimeLine" button at the top left of the BEYOND interface. Right click on the small space under the Track number you want to change and choose Track Properties. Note, if you do no change the Track properties, any laser frame/cue you drag to that Track will go to the projection zones set in that cue's properties by default. For example the Emu cue we changed above would go to both projection zones I set it to go to. Track properties will override cue properties settings. After opening the Track Properties click the second tab "Projection Zones" and then the "Edit" button. This will pull up a box just like the Cue properties box that comes up with the "Add/change/move zones" button; this time notice that no zones are assigned to this Track. You will then click on the zone(s) you want the frame to go to just like we did for our cue example above, click the arrow pointing to the left to add it to the list of zones the frame will go to. Select OK to close the zone selection box and then you will need to click the check box next to "Output Track to these Zones". Click

OK to accept this change and close the Track properties box. Now showing that specific track should send the laser frame to all of the projection zones you set it to.

To test this you will drag the timeline location bar along the time line and watch the preview window to the right. Note, the 4 workspace cues/frames I am working with are all set to go to the Atmospherics Zone (Zone 4) by default. At first Track 1 is going to the two zones, Main and Secondary Graphics, which we set it to go to. As I get to the where Track 2 has a laser frame you will see the Atmospherics preview window is now showing the output from Track 2 as the cue it is displaying is set to the Atmospherics Zone, while Track 1 is only being displayed on the Main and Secondary Graphics zones. As I go further down the time line, you will see Tracks 3 and 4 display on the Atmospherics preview window as they again are both using the workspace cue properties to set what zone they should go to.

3.) Lastly you can set individual TimeLine events to go to specific or multiple zones. Every cue you drag to the TimeLine is considered an "Event". I will work with Track 2 so you can see all three examples at work at the same time. To change the projection zone for a Timeline Event you will right click on the "Event" and choose Event Properties. This will pull up a box just like the Cue Properties does; note that the Event Properties is showing the projection zone already assigned to the workspace cue from within the Cue Properties, in this case Atmospherics. Just like in the Cue properties box click the "Add/change/move zones" button; again notice that Atmospherics is already assigned to this Event. For this example I will remove the Atmospherics zone (click on Atmospherics and then the right arrow to remove it from the "selected destination" list and then assign it to several other zones to show you the results in the preview window(s). You will then click on the zone(s) you want the Event to go to, I will use Raster Graphics and Scanner 2 main for our example, and then click the arrow pointing to the left to add each zone to the selected destination" list of zones the Event will go to. Select OK and them OK again to accept this change and close the Event properties box. As I drag through the timeline you will see track one going to the Main and Secondary Graphics zones, the Event on Track 2 going to the Raster Graphics and Scanner 2 main zones, and Tracks 3 and 4 going to their Cue's default zone, Atmospherics. The key to this zone assignment is that it is only for this event. If that event ends and you put a new event on the timeline, it will be displayed to the zone that the new event's cue properties are set to. For example I have put a cue that has its cue properties set to go to the Main Graphics zone by default right after the event on track two that we just changed the properties to. Once the timeline has gotten to that event you will notice the event is being sent to the Main Graphics zone and not the zones we assigned to the event just before it.

Each of these options should be explored so you can determine which option best suits your specific show.

Get QuickShow and look at the help video tutorials.
It will give you a head start for Beyond as well.

Back