so much information to absorb

mrchevyrat

Hi everyone, I am new to all of this, and I have been doing all the research in order to be able to start a business, doing portable show. and I have noticed that the information that I have read so far, is at best is mind boggling. As I want to be safe, and have my clients be safe while enjoying the lasers, I have so many questions, and I don't know where to start.
part of my problem is that most of what I am reading, is written as if the user is doing shows for large venues, as I am on a limited budget, I am starting out small, with two 1 watt RGB 30k analog scanner's and using Quick Show, and two FB3's. as I haven't started doing any commercial shows yet, I have been doing free shows for the kids at the school that my children attend. doing just animated shows with the scanners behind the kids projecting on to the projector screen. here's the thing when i start doing shows for my business, i know that I will need to have a more likeable show, that would include scanning the audience. look I am not looking for any shortcuts by any means, but I would like to know if all the work that goes in to a large venue, is the same for say show that would be for a private party, like a wedding, or a birthday party. like I said, I am starting out doing small shows, with little start up cost. I will be purchasing a laser power meter, so i can at least know that the lasers that are scanning the audience, will be safe for viewing. i have seen laser power meter's for as little as say around $150. up to $850. and beyond, i am not looking to to take any short cuts here, but I would like to know which laser power meter would be best for me and my lasers. as i am aware that you get what you pay for, I don't want to spend a dime on something that will not work for me. it is just that i don't want to buy a laser power meter that has so many options that I can't understand it. this is only one of my concerns. I don't want to have my business shut down before I get started. any suggestions for someone like me just starting out, would be appreciated.

I suggest taking a laser safety office class before any audience scanning; that will give you the knowledge for everything needed to perform this type of show, then all you have to do is apply it in a careful and professional manner.

all in.

Yes a laser safety office class is in the plans, as I want to learn all of the details, like I said, I'm not wanting to take any shortcuts, I am more looking for advise on do's and dont's as I am for the most part jumping in with both feet.

First, congrats for pursuing this with safety in mind!
It's amazing how many new laser show operators completely blow off this very important step...

One of the VERY important things you'll need to learn about is audience scanning in the USA ~

VERY complicated, regulated and restrictive, and very few operators and projectors in the US are varianced to legally do this.
There are probably a LOT more illegal - and potentially dangerous - operators performing audience scanning in the US than there are legal operators.

Also, the size of the venue or audience doesn't matter ~
it's all about any potential commerce involved, and the liability that goes with doing shows in public.

I'll suggest you head over to PhotonLexicon to discuss this in detail.
A Lot of folks on that forum, pros and hobbyists alike, have been in your shoes, and can offer a lot of support to steer you in the right direction.

www.photonlexicon.com

Last edited:
complicated, regulated and restrictive

Stuka, Thanks for your advice, and yes I have been doing the research, and have come to the same conclusion that you have pointed out, that is the VERY complicated, regulated and restrictive part. I can still find myself getting certified as a Laser Safety Officer, and run my business doing legal safe shows; I really don't need to scan the audience to make a good show effect. As I learn more I may have more understanding of how the variance part works.

Back