Some suggesters in the new LS2000 system

frank.tan

Some suggester in new LS2000 system

hello, bill
I'm a laser-show engineer, when I used your LD2000 system, I found the following functions is very important for installing engineer:
1. Let installing engineer to set system passwords for LD2000 system user, include user's level, use time limit, but don't let the final user to know time-limit, let installing engineer to set and manage it.
2. Protect the important LD2000 system files can not to be delected.
3. Protect the the pics and shows can not to be delected.
4. Add real-time play on-line editor show fuction.
5. Increase DMX output channels, add Live or LivePro controlled by DMX 512.
6. Add startup fountain and fire signal or interface, Let your system can controll the other system such as fountain,fire,lighting,film etc. Or can be controlled by other system such as SMPTE. let them to run synchronous.

The best regards.
frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the feedback. As far as I know, you can already do most or all of what you want. I will comment on your specific points below:

Frank Tan Wrote:
1. Let installing engineer to set system passwords for LD2000 system user, include user's level, use time limit, but don't let the final user to know time-limit, let installing engineer to set and manage it.

William Benner replies:
For features to which you would typically give a user access -- Autoplay, Live! and LivePRO, there are already password elements and other limits in place. The password elements of Autoplay are contained within an INI file. Please write me an email and I will tell you more about it. For Live! you can set exactly what a user can do, and you can set a password using the "Stand Alone Configuration" menu. For LivePRO, you can do a similar thing adding a password for Expert mode and User mode, using the "Access control" menu found on the HELP menu.

We do not have any kind of "limited time" operation. I might be inclined to add such a thing if you give me some more information (in an email) about how this might be used by you.

Frank Tan wrote:
2. Protect the important LD2000 system files can not to be delected.
3. Protect the the pics and shows can not to be delected.

William Benner replies:
As far as I know, you can already do this kind of thing yourself, by simply right-clicking on a file in Windows Explorer, and selecting Properties, and then check the box to make the file "Read Only". We do have some users who already do this.

Frank Tan wrote:
4. Add real-time play on-line editor show fuction.

William Benner replies:
I do not fully understand what you mean. Showtime, and really almost all LD2000 programs are indeed "real time" programs. In Showtime, you can move the time slider and instantly see the laser-projected output, as long as "laserscroll" button is pressed. You can also move the time slider anywhere in the show and press the space bar, and instantly start playing from that time forward.

Frank Tan wrote:
5. Increase DMX output channels, add Live or LivePro controlled by DMX 512.

William Benner replies:
Since the year 2000, our DMX Output already supports up to 512 channels, so I don't think that we can increase the number of channels beyond 512. After all, it is called "DMX-512" for a reason :)

As for DMX Input, the latest (yet to be released) versions of both Live! and LivePRO do indeed support DMX-512 INPUT. We currently have only a few users who are testing this and I would love to have more people testing it. Please let me know (by email) if any users are interested.

Frank Tan wrote:
6. Add startup fountain and fire signal or interface, Let your system can controll the other system such as fountain,fire,lighting,film etc. Or can be controlled by other system such as SMPTE. let them to run synchronous.

William Benner replies:
There are already startup elements in our software, and we already have a number of users who are using our software to control fountains and the like. This may be done through DMX-512 or RS-232. Please write more about what you want (by email) and I will inform you of the proper options.

Regarding SMPTE, since 1995, Showtime has supported a large number of SMPTE devices, so as far as I know, we already have this option covered...

Best regards,
William Benner

(snipped for space)

Frank Tan Wrote:

William Benner replies:
There are already startup elements in our software, and we already have a number of users who are using our software to control fountains and the like. This may be done through DMX-512 or RS-232. Please write more about what you want (by email) and I will inform you of the proper options.

My reply:

I would be hesitant to take items such as flames or pyrotechnics off manual mode where the operator has access to a safety kill switch or interrupt. While software like Pangolin, Fire One, etc. are great programming tools, Safety should always be number One. The same rings true for beam projectors, Always, always, always have some way to manually override the DMX to these units in case the ridiculous or unexpected happens.

Amy

Back