Strange things with MP3

laserzag

Hello, I updated to LD2000 4.5.
Now it happens that using several times an MP3 file, this becomes "broken".

Does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks

Giuseppe Zagaria

Hi Giuseppe,

I have never heard of this before. Can you give more information about what you mean by "broken"?

One very important thing to keep in mind. We have seen it before that people do two things at once -- update our software, and also do something else (install new hardware, update another piece of software, etc.). Then they report that our software doesn't work and they blame it on our softare. Most often, a thorough examination reveals it was the "other thing" that stopped our software from working (often times breaking other things too)...

You could try one thing. As part of our software installtion, it automatically makes a backup copy of all of your older files. You call tell LD2000 that you want to uninstall, and then tell it you want to "roll back" to the previous version. Then you can perform your tests and see if the problem really exists with the older version or not.

I have to say, I don't remember doing any work in the area of MP3 files, so I don't expect any new problems here. The only way to tell for sure is to roll back to the previous version and see if the problem goes away.

Best regards,

William Benner

Thanks Bill.
Uhm... I don't remember any other installation before or after updating LD2000 to 4.5

Anyway, actually I'm not able to play any MP3...
I didn't try to uninstall...
I will check tying to re-install.
I don't understand... Because I have Adobe Audition on the same PC, and also WMP 11 works...

If there's any other issues but me... Of course should be my hardware or software...
I will investigate

Thanks Bill. :cool:

I am having this same problem. By broken we mean it studdars. It seems to happen with files with a sample rate over 200. At first I thought it was just cheap downloads so I bought some songs and it still happens. I see no settings to help for fast sample rates.

wkinne

I have been experimenting with this and find it only happens with MP3 files, the easiest solution seems to be to copy direct from CD's and not download MP3 files as you have no control over their sample rate. Also research on MP3 tells me they are very low quality to reduce file size, so I don't want to use them for my shows now. When I use Widows Media Player to copy songs to my hard drive directly from a CD, it saves them as .wma files and I never have the problem, and they sound noticeably better.

So for me anyway, MP3's are unacceptable and I will be buying the CD's and paying BMI and ASCAP, costs more, but the best choice.

Hope this helps other out there.

Wayne

Also, be aware that Showtime has huge problems with VBR - Variable Bit Rate MP3 files.
If you play such a file in Winamp, you can see the Bitrate number is not constant, but it changes during playback.
When playing VBR file in Showtime, time synchronisation my be lost - specialy when starting playback from the middle of the show. So always use CBR - Constant Bit Rate files when encoding from CD to harddrive.

Another thing, why I prefer using good old WAV files - you can see the "audio signal" on top of the timeline in Showtime. It can be very helpful when creating a new show.

I have to say guys, we are just not seeing this, and have never heard of this from any other user.

Nevertheless, up until now (from around 1997 until now actually) Showtime has used the MCI portion of Windows to play all media files.

Showtime version 5.0 changes this, and there is a version of Showtime available on the installation that will use Windows Media Player component instead of MCI. So you should try this once version 5.0 is released.

Just watch the "what's new at Pangolin" portion of the web site for details.

Best regards,

William Benner

Back