This is where you post comments about our "extras"

Pangolin

Staff member
Hi all,

This is where you should post comments about our "LD2000 extras" such as Asteroids, VST2002 and the Winamp plugin.

Let me start this forum rolling by letting you know that as part of LD2000 version 3.0, we are renaming a few products. For the longest time, most of our products were branded starting with the word "Lasershow". For example, we have Lasershow Designer, Lasershow Converter, Lasershow Performer, etc. Our more recent products started getting away from this branding scheme (like TraceIT and VST2002), but we have placed a new emphasis on getting back to our original branding. For that reason, we are basically renaming products with the first word as "Lasershow". TraceIT will become Lasershow Bitmap and VST2002 will become Lasershow Video.

I am sure there will be many more posts about many more topics regarding "extras". Please feel free to post your ideas here.

Best regards,

William Benner
Pangolin Laser Systems

Will there be any new developments for Laser Show Bitmap formerly known as TraceIt! ?

Would it not be possible to include some of the code that is within Laser Show Bitmap in LC flash, that LC flash can convert bitmaps in the SWF file ? I was meaning to ask you that awhile ago. LOL

Albie

[ May 21, 2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Psyteknology ]

Hi Albie,

Yes, I am sure at some point in the future, we will turn our attention to TraceIt/Lasershow Bitmap. Right now, we are working on things that I feel are more important to the industry.

There is one thing that I want to say though, and I say it at each of our seminars. We are not very excited about bitmap to laser converters because there is a "one to one" correspondence. What I mean is that you put one bitmap in, and you get one frame out. And often, these bitmaps must be created with rather manual means.

We are much more excited about products like LCMax and LCFlash because there is a "one to many" correspondence. What I mean is that you put one file in, and you get many frames out. And, the file that you put in is usually computer generated or at least largely so, rather than the manual creation method. As a result, LCMax and LCFlash offer far more productivity to the users and this is much more exciting than the ho-hum "bitmap in, frame out" scenario.

Both LCMax and LCFlash can be used as a "bitmap to vector converter" as well, and with quite good results. This is how most of our LCMax users are doing their digitizing now -- by importing them into LCMax and then converting to renderable splines and finally rendering out to laser.

We are pretty effective at getting the word out when we are doing developments so you will know when we have returned to TraceIT/Lasershow Bitmap. In the mean time, I encorage everyone to consider this "one to many" productivity boost that I am talking about, and also consider that literally half of last year's ILDA award winners and half of the Pangolin Prize entries were done with LCMax.

Best regards,

William Benner
Pangolin Laser Systems

Hi Bill,

You're absolutely right, as usual. ;) But, the problem still remains with those of us who cannot draw or trace for that matter. I've tried to "convert" the raster format of Bitmaps using Raster to Vector software, but they convert it HORRIBLY. I haven't had any luck being able to generate decent looking vector frames with such programs.
TraceIt! from what I've read, and the screen shots that I've seen seem to do the trick. I've also experimented with the MacroMedia FreeHand that's in the MX studio. No luck there iether. :\ LC flash won't convert the frames after I've imported and exported.

I should probably take a drawing class. ;)

Albie
:N

Hi Albie,

There may be a problem with expectations, in conjunction with the current state of the art in bitmap to vector converters.

Every bitmap to vector converter that I have ever seen will only work on what I call "business graphics" -- that is, things with solid well-defined shapes and/or lines. Bitmap to vector converters can not work on continuous tone photographs because the computer can't really "interpret" the images.

Alexey and I each have had experiences which we found humorous -- both of which involve people who send in a continuous tone photograph and expect beautiful laser graphics to come out. I am afraid it doesn't work that way... One person sent in a photograph of a tractor, with a farm in the background. Another user sent me an AVI file from a section of the movie "JAWS". Sorry folks, computers and bitmap to vector software have not come to the point where they can interpret images... As I looked at these bitmaps I wondered how even an artist would render line art to convey the image and probably six artist would give you six different renditions...

Anyway, that is the state of the art as I see it. As far as drawing lessons, I can certainly use them myself!!! But what I see happening more in the industry is people using software like Flash or MAX that doesn't really require you to draw per se, but moreso to "model", where you take a collection of simple shapes (circles, squares, spheres, cylinders, cubes, etc.) and combine them to make a real object, and then animate the object. Non-artist have found this far easier and this, combined with what I call the "one to many" correspondence really allows you to maximize productivity.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks =o) Maybe a course in flash is really what I should be looking into.
I'm going to email you what I thought was a "Simple" bitmap to possibly convert, tell me what you think of it. Maybe give me an answer as to why it wouldn't work.

=) Thanks Bill,
Albie

Length of supplied shows

Hi Guys,
Having recently taken delivery of an LD2000 intro, I have a "noob" query.
Are some of the shows supplied on the installation disks deliberately truncated?
As an example, the Cosmic show is only 2:15 in length whereas the actual music track (by the B52's) is 3:53.
The file size on the installation CD is the same as that installed on my hard drive so there's been no error with the installation process.

This isn't a complaint as I'm grateful for all the shows that you guys add as part of the package.
I was just wondering if some of the shows are shortened for licencing reasons etc.
Cheers. :cool:

Re: Length of supplied shows

Hi Soforene,

All of the shows we distribute were made by professionals. And many are award winners. BUT, this often means that the shows involve custom sound tracks.

The "cosmic" show you refer to is made by AVI. If memory serves, that show actually won an ILDA Award. But as is customary for AVI, they produced that song into a show with many other songs. Often times, parts are cut "for pacing", just like sometimes movies are edited "for pacing".

Each and every show we distribute includes a text file that tells you about the music. In some cases, it describes exactly how to "edit" the music to derive exactly the intended look. You can find the text file in the same folder with the original show, and you can also read it by using the menu "Edit/Show Name and Description" in Showtime.

Best regards,

William Benner

Back