Trigger with MIDI messages from Ableton Live

Mikecraig

Hi guys,

I'm new to the laser and Pangolin world and I want to control lasers with my Ableton Live through MIDI messages out of Ableton Live into another computer running Quickshow or Beyond.

1. Is this doable?
2. How easy/hard would it be to send these messages from my computer to a "foreign" computer (ie: I want to set up the midi messages on my computer and send them to the computer running the lasers - at least on/off and color messages). What I mean here is doing this at sound check with a laser operator that I would meet on the day of.
3. Can you automate the BMP through MIDI? (have a midi message sending a BMP value).

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply to these questions :)

Mike

Hello Mike,

If you use tools like MidiOX or similar, then you should be able to send the midi signal from 1 controller to multiple applications.
There is currently no native connection possible between QuickShow, BEYOND and Ableton Live.

BEYOND can respond on MTC but as far as I know Ableton cannot send MTC.

Thanks for answering Bob !
I wasn't thinking about a native solution. Let me try to rephrase: Could I use Ableton Live as a "MIDI controller"?
Live send MIDI notes and values > Network > Quickshow/Beyond receives the notes and values that I can map.

Another option would be to do this through Resolume on the same network, is this even an option?

Technically, yes.. That is if Live is able to send midi commands. If so, you can have live send midi commands to MidiOX, and then send them through MidiYoke over ethernet.

Back