Tutorial DVD

Ryan1310

Looking for information on the Tutorial DVD that was being created. Is it available and how do you get a copy?

Ryan

As far as i am aware its a in progress project. I think that they hope to release it later this year.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi all,

Technically speaking, this is finished and it is really cool. The main problem we are having right now is with media. I find that my laptop is very sensitive, and thus if the DVD will play in my laptop, it will play anywhere.

Right now we are trying different brands and manufacturers of writable DVDs to find the best media. I would not want a DVD from Pangolin to be non-playable on a users' system.

If there is anyone out there who has some good hints about good media, please speak up and let us know if your experiences...

Bill

Hi all,

another question is whether to use DVD+R or DVD-R. Some players are able to play back both or only one of the types.

Dieter

Hi Bill,

the DVD result depends on media and type of DVD writer. As DVD writers do not support auto-laser-power-calibration, each media has to be tested by the manufactuerer. After his tests, optimum writing parameters are stored into the DVDs firmware.
Here in Germany, we have a very good computer magazine called "ct". They did a test on differend DVD writers combined with differend medias. After burning process they did measure a special error rate to check out burnung quality. If you need the article, send my a PM and I will scan it for you.
Do NOT buy 8x DVD writers. Error rates were horrible.

John

John and Dieter,

I was aware of some of the issues that you both mentioned. I would love to see this article if you can send it. Or perhaps you can just sort of "give us the bottom line" -- in other words, a few sentences of the results of the tests. We could then go out and purchase the drive and media that is recommended, give it a try, and probably start using it.

We have had very good results with MITSUI media for CDRs and I know that they also make DVDs as well. How was this media rated in the article?

Bill

Hi Bill,

OK, here the results from ct 1/04. Best combinations are:

- BenQ DW-800A
works good with: Ricoh DVD+R 4x, Plextor (Taiyo Yuden) DVD+R 4x, Verbatim DVD+R 4x

- Plextor PX-708A
works good with: Verbatim DVD+R 4x and DVD-R 4x

- Nu Tech DDW-081
works good with: Ricoh DVD+R 4x

- Philips DVDRW824K
works good with: Plextor (Taiyo Yuden) DVD+R 4x

Do NOT buy a 8x recorder. Most of them produce horrible error rates.
One of my friends owns this BenQ and it does work very fine and is not expensive. Around

Back