Windows 10 firewall alerts

Hektek

Beta Tester
Every time I launch Beyond in Windows 10 I get a firewall alert. I launched the firewall.exe as Administrator, and it looks like it makes the changes. But next time I launch the same thing happens. What do I need to do to allow Beyond to operate through the firewall?

BEYOND check firewall permissons every time at application start. Firewall.exe is application that install permissions for BEYOND.EXE. In the most of cases it works. I use Windows 10 for testing every day, and it would be interesting to find out what exactly happens in your PC.

In any case, Configuration dialog allow to disable firewall permission test at startup. As soon as this option disabled, BEYOND will stop the testing and optional start of Firewall.exe.

Make sure your firewall settings will allow BEYOND to work properly. Firewalls and security systems that prevent network activity one of typical reasons why BEYOND cannot detect FB4 hardware or have a problems with other network protocols such as ArtNet, OSC and so on.

Regards,
Alexey

Since I have multiple versions of Beyond I added the version suffix to the name.

For example "Beyond907.exe"

Would this explain it?

Jay,

So far you're the second person we know of who has this. It doesn't affect everyone, and we're having trouble duplicating this on any of our computers at Pangolin, so this problem is a bit difficult to figure out.

Let's try to escalate this to a more intimate and higher quality communications means such as Skype or Team Viewer where we can check out your existing firewall provisions and see what's going on.

It might also be related to some kind of third-party software (such as Norton or Macafee) or to the "user level" (such as Admin or whatever)...

Once we see the problem we can probably find it.

Bill

It looks like the issue is with the name. I renamed the file to just Beyond.exe, and it loads ok now.

How do you guys run multiple versions without using a different file name? Do you have multiple full install folders?

You only need copy Beyond.exe and the License.bmp in to a new directory to run it. This is done to .. when in worst case situations, your completely down.. You can always start a new version. So basically you can have more than 1 installation folder. Or just a folder containing those two files.

I have the same issue. My executable is already named beyond.exe
I ran Firewall.exe as admin
Firewall rules are present as inbound rules
Willing to troubleshoot with you.

Found it...

When you run firewall.exe in a CMD you can see it counts several firewall rules, but it can't find any rules from Pangolin.
It will make rules for Beyond and Quickshow.
However there are rules there and it keeps adding them every time, 2 for Beyond, 2 for Quickshow.
I am running this on a laptop which is part of a Microsoft Active Directory.
I can see that the rules are made for the Private and Public firewall profiles, and NOT for the Domain profile
(which I use, because at the moment I am on my domain network)
So the way you query for the existence of these rules is wrong, or the way you set them.
Workaround is to open the Pangolin firewall rules, go to ADVANCED tab, and checkmark the domain profile.

Most likely your laptops are not part of an AD domain, so that's why you can't reproduce it.

Okay if the system is in an AD, its a specific thing we cannot support. Everything is dependable on group policies.
Basically you should be local administrator on your machine to run the software.

Probably there are (as you found out) some ways around it, maybe even a registry hack to re-enable local administration, but that is not something we can support.
In this case we need to point you to the manager of the domain controller. An AD picks up the policies from the domain controller, they can overrule everything.

Back