Zones and safety

aricha

Hi
I have 3 laser with QMNet for each laser.
I have 6 zones : Atmospheric 1, 2 & 3 and Hot Beams 1, 2 & 3.
I want to be able to send a hot beam effect to all 3 lasers at a push of a botton so at the Cue Properties I can add the zones that I want and I mark the Prevent rerouting.
So far so good.
Now I want to send that same effect to Laser no. 1 only, so in the previwe window I select the zone that I want but the effet is still going to all 3 lasers.
Only if I unmark the Prevent rerouting I can send it anywhere, but in that case I accidentally might select the Atmospheric zone which will cause the audience enjoy some beams in their eyes :).
I also tried to use the Also to in the Projection zone settings same thing it will always go to all 3 lasers.

Any solutions?

The Prevent Re-routing option is what is causing you to not be able to route the cue to the single zone.

The solution will depend on what is most important to you (to me it would be not to put hot beams in the audience) and may be a compromise to what you are trying; I would make different cues to go to the single zones you want instead of relying on trying to re-route the cue going to multiple zones.

You could also rearrange your projection zones in the PZ settings menu so that your atmospheric zone is no where near the zones you might route the hot beams to so you are less likely to mistakenly choose that zone to route the beams to.

You could, assuming you are not using an external controller, make some keyboard to PangoScript keys that mute zones and instead of re-routing the cues to single zones you mute the zones you do not want active; kind of the opposite of what you are trying to do.

There is probably several other ways to do this; it will be an exercise of trial and error but you might be able to find a way that I have not mentioned.

The reason I want to send cue to one or two zones is to be able to send different cue to the other zone.
For example a wave to the center laser and hot beams to the lasers on the sides.
I have tried with Beyond Universe – same result as with the Also to.
I am doing the programming and I let less experienced people to operate.
Maybe Alexey can think of another button.
Thanks anyway

Aricha

The solution - do not give ability to screw up. If they will have ability to select a wrong zone, then it will happen. Do not allow to select zones. Operate only with cues that have fixed routing, and do not allow reroute it. Why we do not give a dangerous things into the hands of kids? Same story here. Simply do not allow to do this. What more - learn. BWT, QS by default do not allow to select zones. Why? same story. If you do not know what is zones, how to setup then, then QS do not give ability to select them. Only default settings... in the cue properties.

Realtime selection is always a... sort of dangerous.

Unrelated question to you. Did you tried effects based routing? Preview panel is only one of ways how to make it, you can use Effects. They can easily redirect frames to any other zone. I name is as "-1" model. Usually you have cues, effects and preview panel for routing. If you do routing with effects, then you do not to mess with preview panel. Take a look at BEYOND Routing PDF file.

Best Regards,
Alexey

Back