Maximum Cable Length

atomictom

How long of a cable can be used between the projector and the FB3 controller? I have Belkin 50 ft cables from Amazon and wondered if I could put a bunch of them together to put the projector 300 ft from the operators table.%)

I use 60m (2 x 30m DB25s daisy-chained). Works fine. Max length is about 100m but that is rounded (up or down, who knows?) and I think that assumes top-quality cables. I use cheap DB25s rather than expensive ILDAs so I don't want to push it any further.

300ft = 100m, so I would say you are right on the edge of significant voltage drop and therefore noise and interference, even with the best quality shielded cables.

So 100 Feet won't be a problem at all?

Can one of you 2 point me to a good quality DB25 cable that won't break the bank anymore than I have already done:sillylol:

Thanks

As you have discovered to find a factory moulded long DB25 cable is hard and expensive.

Stanwax has tha answer the "ILDA - CAT5 Adaptor"

Stanwax Laser ILDA to CAT 5 adaptors allow 1 ILDA signal to run from the laser projector to the control station using CAT 5 cables or CAT 5 infrastructure as long as it does not pass through a switch. It connects the most common signals using 2 CAT 5 cables and is sold as a matched pair.

To find long good quality cat5 cable is a cheaper and easier option.

here is a link to the product http://www.laserknowhow.co.uk/product_p/ilda - cat5 adaptor.htm

As you have discovered to find a factory moulded long DB25 cable is hard and expensive.

Stanwax has tha answer the "ILDA - CAT5 Adaptor"

Stanwax Laser ILDA to CAT 5 adaptors allow 1 ILDA signal to run from the laser projector to the control station using CAT 5 cables or CAT 5 infrastructure as long as it does not pass through a switch. It connects the most common signals using 2 CAT 5 cables and is sold as a matched pair.

To find long good quality cat5 cable is a cheaper and easier option.

here is a link to the product http://www.laserknowhow.co.uk/product_p/ilda - cat5 adaptor.htm

Um, my laptop has only one ethernet connector, so this is not so useful?

Um, my laptop has only one ethernet connector, so this is not so useful?

This product has nothing to do with ethernet from what I can tell.

It just takes the XYRGB (etc.) pins from the DB25's and pairs them out to match with the twisted pairs on 2 cat5 cables (2 sets of 4 twisted pairs for 8 pairs or 16 conductors). A box on each end to go to and from 2 cat 5 cables that you would run between.

Interesting idea (cheat), but most cat5 cables are unshielded, so probably not the best choice for analog laser signals if you change venues a lot with your system setups. You would more than likely pick up interference from anything the cables ran next to.

John

Ilda - cat5

I have one of these ilda - cat5 converters, they work great, Rob has come up with a helpful product and can be bought for £30, that what I paid from his site including delivery,

http://www.greenlaser.co.uk/

Cat5 cable is cheap so if you damage it , its cheaper to replace than a whole Ilda cable.

Cheers Tony=)

Back