Quickshow midi functions

Ninebar

Hi there

I've been looking into the midi route. After research I'm aware QS is limited in midi functionality. Would it be possible to get a list of all functioning midi features of QS. I'm thinking of either purchasing apc20 or 40 depending on how far I can go with quickshow. I do know the livepro and beyond options are there but I'm not ready to upgrade at the moment in time. Also what are the best mapping solutions?

Thanks

I want to be able to control as much as possible via a midi controller for live performances. Cues, colour, speed, brightness, points etc etc. But I still cant find a complete list of what can be fully controlled by quickshow. Anything i have read just states QS is limited comparising to beyond or livepro. I would like a clear list of all the limitations and possiblities available. I think it would be very beneficial to anybody else in my situation looking into the midi route of control using QS

Ah i will give you the list then;) all the things you wanted is doable in quickshow;)

Format ( X Y Z)
Position ( X Y Z)
Angle( X Y Z)
Rotation ( X Y Z)
Brightness
Visable points
Colour
Scan speed
Start the VJ tool
Start the multiple effects
and reset position and position.

Hopefully you have what you wanted. otherwise just ask;)
if you have the version and need help with the midi just call it.

Greets,
Spikie

sorry, i've using the bcf2000 controller here;) for that question you should wait for others;)
glad i could help you.

Triggering Cues??

Ah i will give you the list then;) all the things you wanted is doable in quickshow;)

Format ( X Y Z)
Position ( X Y Z)
Angle( X Y Z)
Rotation ( X Y Z)
Brightness
Visable points
Colour
Scan speed
Start the VJ tool
Start the multiple effects
and reset position and position.

Hopefully you have what you wanted. otherwise just ask;)
if you have the version and need help with the midi just call it.

Greets,
Spikie

@ Spikie

Is it possible to trigger cues?
If so how do you configure the APC40 to do so on QS?
I have figured out how to so the above options but so for i am unable to trigger a cue or page? :confused:

For cue selection in QuickShow with ANY MIDI controller you will need a MIDI translator to go from MIDI notes to keyboard strokes as QS will only see keyboard strokes for cue selection.

keyboard strokes

For cue selection in QuickShow with ANY MIDI controller you will need a MIDI translator to go from MIDI notes to keyboard strokes as QS will only see keyboard strokes for cue selection.

So i have downloaded Bome's midi translator and it works just fine.
Im having one problem though.
when i link the APC40 to the midi translator i cant have it linked with QS.
QS gives me this error " Please ensure that specified MIDI input devices is free for use" .
Therefore i can only run the APC40 on one program at a time.
All in all is there another way around so that i can trigger cures via APC40?:cool:

So i have downloaded Bome's midi translator and it works just fine.
Im having one problem though.
when i link the APC40 to the midi translator i cant have it linked with QS.
QS gives me this error " Please ensure that specified MIDI input devices is free for use" .
Therefore i can only run the APC40 on one program at a time.
All in all is there another way around so that i can trigger cures via APC40?:cool:

An midi device can only connect to one device.
In case you need to route midi through various applications, you need an Midi Loopback device. There are couple on the internet like LoopBe and Midi Yoke.

Update: Apc40 & qs

With Bome's midi translator you do not need to use a midi yoke. You can route your inputs/outputs.

With Bomes midi traslator you can trigger all your cues and it works great!!

@ Aaron Thanks for all your quick responses and help on this!

Hi,

I'm ok with:
Format ( X Y Z)
Position ( X Y Z)
Angle( X Y Z)
Rotation ( X Y Z)
Brightness
Visable points
Colour
Scan speed
Start the VJ tool

But i don't find anything about "Start the multiple effects and reset rotation and position" ?!

Regards,
Gaël

With Bome's midi translator you do not need to use a midi yoke. You can route your inputs/outputs.

With Bomes midi traslator you can trigger all your cues and it works great!!

@ Aaron Thanks for all your quick responses and help on this!

yes I have seen video on youtube but no information or tutorial :( to set it up can get a tutorial? ;)

Knob rotation wrong

I have the following problem: the knob while the rotational go wrong when you turn to the left, turn on the screen to the right. Can I change this?
For everyone else, with Bome Midi Translator can be dealing with a lot of time and effort cues and program the Quick FX, and a few other nice little things:)

cant get it to work in any way, isn't there any good tutorial on how to solve this issue. in my opinion quickshow is very bad at midi input. and to limited for its price.

@Schorsch76, I will have someone look at the MIDI rotation; it does the same for me. We would have to make a change internally; there is nothing you can do.

@scanlight, Please be aware that QuickShow's focus is more for Mobile DJs and hobbyists that are new to lasers, although there are many Professionals using QuickShow with no complaints. The retail price for QuickShow is very competitive and for that price, QuickShow provides a very large array of powerful features.

QuickShow has MIDI input abilities but they are limited compared to our professional software platform BEYOND. If you feel limited by QuickShow, it may be that your shows are approaching a more professional level; you may want to look into upgrading to BEYOND.

The main limitation that is noticeable is the cues in QS are only selectable by mouse or keyboard input. To get a MIDI controller's notes to control cue selection you need a 3rd party MIDI converter to convert the MIDI notes to keystrokes. Unfortunately, I cannot advise what software to use or how to set it up; I only know you cannot go directly from MIDI to select the workspace cue.

As for a QS MIDI tutorial; this is something I can look into to see if we can put it on our tutorial creation schedule but, the MIDI control in QuickShow is fairly straightforward. Each of the MIDI option sections, MIDI Shortcuts and MIDI to Live, all have "Learn" buttons that make it real easy to set up each function to respond to MIDI input. What specifically are you having problems setting up?

apc 40 MK2

Hi there, I just added an APC 40 MKII to my setup and it .... works :)
( Running QS in win 8.1 and win 7 x64 )

Not yet complete, but all the functions that can be set in the midi to live control in QS work. Also I managed to ( somewhat ) make the cue pad work..

So I can control my laser by the 8 sliders and or the knobs, and start cues from the pad. The APC helps a lot in live settings, almost no need for the mouse anymore.

What I did to activate the clip launch buttons ( to have a whole page working ) is goto MIDI SETTINGS - INPUT OPTIONS - and goto first key.
press learn, and on the APC 40 HIT THE LOWER LEFT CLIPLAUNCH button.
That is for now my way to set it. So in stead of the original way ( left to right top to bottom ), I press from the bottom row upwards.

But it works.. I have no idea whatsoever on how to make MIDI shizzle, so if anyone has ideas on how to make it fully work... Thanks..
Gijs

why cant we asign effect sliders via midi? starting to rethink my purchase... and yes bomes does work but getting led feedback is a bIA@h

Back