BAM issues on FB4

Simon Jensen

Hi guys

I am having a bit of trouble with BAMs when i upload content to FB4 from beyond or QS. It seems as if the BAM is scaled and moved along with the content when i subsequently control the FB4 by dmx, which i cant find any reason why you would want to have happening..

How do i setup a BAM on an FB4 so that it stays in place, no matter how the LD scales or rotates the content from his lighting console ?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards, Simon

Dear Simon,

Thank you for question. The nature of situation - software offer big number of options which is not possible to implement in FB4 hardware because of CPU "horse power" limitations. Next hardware generation will have faster processor, and we will have more room for features such as BAM. Currently, you may consider using BEYOND software under control of DMX.

Let me know if you have questions.

Best Regards,
Alexey.

Last edited:
It has always been a problem.
In FB3 SE with DMX and Live Quick you set up the Geometric Correction but than the DMX X & Y is is controlling the master X & Y size.
Same thing was in Showtime Live. You set up the Projection Zone but the X & Y in the Live section is taking over the master size and position.
So maybe the hierarchy can be fixed.

I am not sure how it could be related to ShowTime Live, but in case of FB3 and FB4 hardware - if physically cannot calculate BAM. If to be honest - this area is way more bigger and complex than it seems. i can measure it by "output module" of BEYOND. BAM, Geo correction, Clipping, optimization, etc. Many things work behind the stage, and not matter what we think - it require corresponding CPU power, and also lead to multiple questions. For simplicity - lets skip related questions, and return to main one. BAM should be possible on next generation of the hardware. So, that is the fix :).

I am only asking to make sure that DMX X & Y do not over ride Geometric Correction and Projection Zones settings.
For example you make some beam effects - send it to Hot Beam zone - and set Hot Beam zone Geometric Correction to the top half of your scanner size.
You Upload your Workspace to FB3 using Live Quick, and let the Light console control the laser.
In this case DMX Y Position can take the beams all the way down in to the audience eyes.
The DMX is over riding your zones settings.
I haven't tried it with FB4 and Beyond.

OK, lets go back again to how it works, and what is actually possible. Software sucj as BEYOND/QS calculate everything in real time, according to setting, including output settings such as geometric correction, BAM, vector to point conversion, clipping, etc. So, you do the settings, and CPU of PC used for calculation of output.

CPU of FB3 o FB4 cannot perform same amount of job. It can do some DMX related effects, but it cannot do BAM and so on. So, if you want to have BAM calculated in real time, then right now the answer is - use BEYOND, control it by DMX. For current generation of hardware (FB3, FB4) we cannot provide you a feature of real time BAM. For the next generation of hardware it should be possible.

Let me know if you have questions, or explanation is not good enough.

Back