HOW TO? - multi-zone brightness chase sweeping effect

Garrett_502

I'm trying to figure out a way to make a specific effect...

In this video, at approximately 1:08, the great Derek Garbos uses an effect where a cue's brightness sweeps back and forth between projector zones. i'm trying to figure out if this is achieved with a zone chase, or time shifting effect? I'm sure there are many ways to do this, and I know it's something simple that I'm just not thinking about. I' can achieve something like it by time shifting a brightness effect, but I can't figure out how the effect is going back and forth. Time shifting only shifts the effect in a positive or negative value, so the effect would basically just cycle, and not sweep back and forth. I'd love to be able to use this effect as a quick effect. Any suggestions?

Hey Garett, Most likely case is he has an effect either an oscillation or key effect to do dimmer, and using zone offset to do it, as for the switching back and forth, easiest way I think it could be done would be a pangoscript cue that would invert the clock. If you go to the "time control" tab you can see that button there for reversing time, and you can use a script to flip that button.

I'm thinking the effect is built in to the cue with a zone chase specific to the 5 zones being used, along with a brightness effect for the fades. That's the closest I've been able to get it. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way I can set this up as a quick effect to apply it to other cues.

You could use the 'reverse cue' button, but you would have to be pretty precise when pressing the button to make it loop in sync

Well, I guess, maybe? Multi-Effects is a new feature that I haven't really gotten around to figuring out just yet, but I guess I need to play with it. From what I read in the manual, it seems like what i'm looking for. But are there timing options? In a zone chase, you can control the timing. I'm thinking about a zone chase but basically for effects only, not cue playback. Is that what the multi-effects feature is?

Ok i get it. It allows you to apply multiple effects to different zones, but it still doesn't allow you to make an "FX zone chase". It's just on/off. That's cool, but i would really love to have an FX zone chase option. Think about it :)

Back