LD2000 SDK Question

laserzag

Hello, I'm using VB6.

A Question: which is the reason to choose the MCI engine functions and not directly the WMP driver, to play Media Contents ?
Just to be curious and to better know and understand.

"laserzag"
Giuseppe Zagaria

Hi Giuseppe,

Actually, for new programs, it is best to use WMP. MCI is generally an older-style interface. For some things, it can be simpler. But generally WMP is better.

Best regards,

William Benner

Thanks Bill

Uhm... Probably the question is better in this way:
Why Pangolin engine uses MCI instead of WMP drivers ?

I'm thinking that, like Win Amp, using WMP should be possible to add also Video feature to LD2000 or to Live Controller... For example, just playing WMP Video Effects, together with Laser Shows, using the same music...
Should be a nice add-on I think.
The problem is that VB6 can goes till MCI... While WMP functions cab be programmed starting from VB 2005...

TheZag :cool:

Pangolin uses a combination of MCI and WMP (actually DirectX). We use the combination instead of just one source for our own reasons. As far as I know, our software can do things that other laser software can not do with media, so I don't think there is a problem. Actually, I don't know of any complaints with our implementation.

In any event, of course, future versions of the software will add more capabilities, particularly with respect to video. As one example -- at this past ILDA Awards ceremony, it was actually the Pangolin system that played almost all laser shows, and all video as well. More will be coming soon....

Best regards,

William Benner

Back