Oscilloscope Music -> QuickShow

Discussion in 'Lasershow Designer QuickShow' started by Keith Rule, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Keith Rule

Keith Rule New Member

On Youtube there are many interesting videos of Oscilloscope Music. The .wav files associated with this are publicly available. The display is defined by the x/y specified by each of the stereo values in the .wav file. I happen to work for an oscilloscope manufacture and can probably have enough background to turn the .wav into a series of images to be imported in QuickTrace.

My questions are:
    1) Has anyone already put oscilloscope music into a show? If someone has done this, it would save me a bunch of time.
    2) Has anyone done rotoscoping in "Quicktrace+Animation Editing" by turning a bunch of images into an an animation? Can this be done in an automated or semi-automate way? This seems like the most likely way to approach. Alternatively, it might be possible to create a .ilda file directly (I read the spec and it doesn't look terrible - but will take a fair amount of time to build).

I'm putting together a show with a Kavant ClubMax 10 owned by a small community (to replace the annual fireworks show). As with most volunteer positions, labor is free - software isn't. I was volunteered because I have a technical background, not an artistic background. I'm looking for ideas that aren't just assembled from clipart found in Quickshow (they seem to get repetitive) - this looks like a possible winner being both interesting and free.

I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

Thanks

2. Keith Rule

Keith Rule New Member

To answer my own questions - yes it is possible to turn the sound files into an ilda file. I've spent most of the week writing a prototype - which works fairly well. I've successfully imported the result into Quickshow. I've run into the expected issues like audio synchronization. But that's a minor issue. I need to clean up the result and see how it looks through a laser. My fingers are crossed that I can pull this together for our next event.

3. Keith Rule

Keith Rule New Member

I've succeeded in converting (poorly) an oscilloscope music file into a QSHW file. It's from this video: (96) C. Allen | Factory Floor (Oscilloscope Music) - YouTube. The author released the video and the music with a creative commons license. As such, the same license applies to the file below.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BWXExmTKexeM3hM8Z7YbKniCSSfoe_W1?usp=sharing

I considered posting this to the Pangolin Cloud, but these are very different than what is usually posted. I don't have a good way of verifying that these shows will work on any other laser project than the one I have. If you try this, please let me know if it works for you.